The Kaohsiung District Court yesterday dismissed legal proceedings against a captain of a naval warship accused of negligence resulting in the death of a sailor have been halted because the statute of limitations had run out, while the victim’s family pleaded for justice.
Chen Pi-e (陳碧娥), mother of naval conscript Huang Kuo-chang (黃國章) who allegedly committed suicide more than 20 years ago, said she could not accept the court’s “stay of proceedings,” which effectively meant charges have been dropped against naval captain Feng Yi-cheng (馮逸成), the man in command of the warship and accused of professional negligence in Huang’s death.
“Right now, I feel so powerless. The case has returned back to the original starting point,” Chen said, as she wiped tears from her eyes.
“Please don’t be so cruel to us. This is painful torture for the victim’s family, as the courts’ decisions have hurt us again and again,” Chen said.
Chen said her son’s case was among the most well-known of suspicious deaths or alleged suicides during military service, and was important for society, so she was very disappointed at the outcome.
“Now I feel there is no hope for all the other wrongful death cases in the military. There is no future for prosecution and judicial proceeding on these cases,” she said.
“I ask President Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) to direct her atttention to these wrongful death cases in the military. This is also the task for transitional justice for the new government,” she said.
Feng, the only person charged in the death of the naval conscript and who was present at the court’s announcement, said: “I respect the court’s decision.”
The navy said that Huang, then a seaman second class, committed suicide in June 1995 by jumping off the Nanyang destroyer in the Taiwan Strait.
However, Chen suspected Huang was murdered, since he had repeatedly complained of physical abuse and undue punishment by older crew members, and because when her son’s body was found off the coast of China, there were signs of external wounds.
Photographs taken by Chinese authorities showed Huang had sustained head wounds, with a nail piercing his skull, and other objects lodged inside his head, according to Chen and investigators who made detailed examination of the pictures.
Navy prosecutors decided not to proceed with the case in 1997, but it was reopened by the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office in late 2013 after the Executive Yuan established the Military Injustice Petition Committee in response to massive public protests demanding justice for Hung Chung-chiu (洪仲丘), an army conscript who died at an army base in Hsinchu County after being punished with solitary confinement and harsh physical exercise regimes.
Feng was originally charged with murder in Huang’s death, but when Kaohsiung prosecutors reopened the case, they indicted him on charges of professional negligence causing death.
The district court yesterday decided proceeding with the case, saying prosecutors had not presented new evidence for the trial and the statute of limitations on the case had run out.
Critics said the justice system seemed to have come under pressure from the military, and that the process had been impeded at every turn.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as