Heavy rain over the past few days has caused damage in several parts of the nation, with southern Taiwan bearing the brunt, local government officials said yesterday.
The Kaohsiung City Government yesterday ordered the evacuation of more than 2,200 residents after days of heavy rain increased the risk of landslides in several mountainous areas — including 877 in Liouguei (六龜), 737 in Taoyuan (桃源) and 320 in Namasiya (那瑪夏) districts, a city government spokesman said.
Taoyuan District also announced school and office closures yesterday afternoon because access to several areas had been cut off because of flooding on roads and bridges.
Photo: CNA
The Kaohsiung Agriculture Bureau said it would provide subsidies to the district’s plum growers, who have incurred heavy agricultural losses because transportation of their crops has been affected during the peak harvest season, the spokesman said.
The Water Resources Bureau has issued a red alert for 53 rivers, while 28 other rivers are on yellow alert.
Heavy and continuous rain over the past few days have caused flooding in some areas of the nation, which has affected agricultural production and supplies.
Photo: CNA
Rain began to fall almost continuously in Taitung from the beginning of the Dragon Boat Festival on Thursday and lasted for three days, causing the collapse of mature rice plants in some areas, a farmer said, expressing concern that if rain continues in the next two days, it could affect the rice harvest.
Over the past 24 hours, accumulated rainfall in Taichung’s Heping (和平), Kaohsiung’s Taoyuan, Hualien County’s Sioulin (秀林) and Tainan’s Baihe (白河) districts all exceeded 20cm, the Central Weather Bureau said.
The bureau yesterday issued a warning for heavy rain in the morning in western and southeastern Taiwan and said a moist air stream from the southwest, which brought rain to several parts of the nation over the weekend, is forecast to continue before precipitation begins easing gradually from tomorrow.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated