University students yesterday called for government intervention to stop Fu Jen Catholic University’s “discriminatory” policy of imposing a curfew on female dormitories.
Students from National Taiwan University (NTU), National Chengchi University (NCCU) and Soochow University staged a rally in front of the Ministry of Education building to voice their support for FJU Cinderella — a group formed by Fu Jen students opposed to the curfew — urging the university to abolish the curfew, which they said was built on a weak premise that violates female students’ freedom.
Fu Jen students said that female students are required to return to the dormitories by midnight, or they will receive a demerit barring them from participating in a draw for dormitory rooms the next semester and be required to perform two hours of chores for every half-hour they are late.
Photo: Chang Chia-ming, Taipei Times
Male students can enter their dormitories whenever they want, they said.
Sitting in a wheelchair, FJU student association chairwoman Liao Yu-wen (廖郁雯), who has been on a hunger strike to protest the curfew since Monday morning, said that a cleric at the school told her that the matter would be discussed at a hearing in October.
She said the university had been holding hearings on the standoff for one year, and that she was disappointed in the school’s perfunctory response.
NCCU Wildfire Front member Lin Tsung-chih (林宗志) said the curfew is undemocratic and outdated, and that Fu Jen should provide better arguments to convince students that a curfew can improve their safety.
He said that gender equality is a universal value that should not be subordinated by the autonomy enjoyed by universities.
He called on all college students to boycott universities that still implement curfews and the ministry to propose bills that would ensure gender equality on campus.
NTU student association head Cheng Ting-yin (鄭婷尹) said that her university in 1993 agreed to the association’s appeal and lifted the curfew on female dormitories.
Thanks to the abolition of curfew, students no longer have to stay out at night for fear of being punished, which greatly improved their safety, she said.
Cheng called on Fu Jen to improve communication with students, saying it was regrettable that its students have to resort to such drastic measures to hold a dialogue with the school administrators on an equal footing.
Independent music promoter and social activist Yao Ken-hsiang (姚茛翔), better known as Indie Dadee (音地大帝), was also on the scene to express solidarity with the students.
“There are many ways to protect students, and the worst thing to do is restrict their freedom, which reveals the school’s oppressive governance style,” Yao said.
Ni Chou-hua (倪周華), a division chief at the ministry’s Department of Higher Education, said the ministry would seek to resolve the standoff by establishing a communication platform between education officials, the university and the students within one month.
He urged students who have joined the hunger strike to take care of their health.
Fu Jen law major Wang Tzu-chi (王子綺) and philosophy major Lin Ya-hui (林雅惠) have also joined Liao in the hunger strike.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated