The National Expressway Engineering Bureau on Monday said it would terminate its contract with Kuo Teng Construction Co if it fails to speed up construction of Kinmen Bridge.
Work on the bridge connecting the main island of Greater Kinmen (大金門) and Lieyu (烈嶼), also known as Little Kinmen, began in 2013 after it had been a campaign promise in five presidential elections.
Kinmen residents say the bridge will probably never be completed because of failures to keep up with the construction schedule and a series of accidents at the site.
The bureau said it might have to change the contractor for a third time, adding that Kuo Teng Construction has been instructed to increase the number of workers and boost construction materials, as well as to use more and better machinery to build the bridge.
“The contractor failed to bring in partners that were equipped with better machinery for the project, even though it was facing a shortage of workers and construction materials and clearly lacks the ability to handle the project on its own,” the bureau said in a statement.
“The contractor had fallen behind the construction schedule by 16.07 percent as of last month, which shows that it has neither the ambition nor the determination to expedite the progress of the work,” the bureau added.
It said that it informed Kuo Teng Construction in February that delays to the bridge’s construction mean the firm was barred from bidding for government projects for one year, adding that at the time, it was behind schedule by about 10 percent.
The bureau on Wednesday last week said that work on the bridge was nearly 19 percent behind schedule.
Based on the delays in construction, Kuo Teng Construction was officially notified that it must address the problem within 30 days or face termination of its contract with the government, the bureau said, adding that another qualified contractor would be recruited through a public tender so that work could proceed.
The bridge was the focus of a question-and-answer session at a meeting of the legislature’s Transportation Committee.
Public Construction Commission Minister Wu Hong-mo (吳宏謀) was asked what the commission would do to improve the quality and efficiency of public projects.
“My understanding is that the contractor lacks the ability to carry out the construction in deep water and has problems fulfilling the terms of the contract,” he said, adding he would seek to resolve the problem.
Wu said that the problem with public construction work in Taiwan is that contractors that are incapable of fulfilling the contract are often hired.
The key lies in that most government agencies prefer to choose the bidders that offer the cheapest packages for public contracts, fearing that they would be held accountable if the public were to accuse them of wasting taxpayers’ money.
Wu said his top priority is to make sure government workers are not afraid to hire firms that present the most comprehensive bids, adding that the commission would lay out the types of projects to which this bidding method applies.
The information for each project would be made transparent, including information on contractors’ safety records, he added.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated