Taichung Prison yesterday warned former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁), who is on medical parole, against accepting an invitation to attend president-elect Tsai Ing-wen’s (蔡英文) inauguration state banquet on Friday.
“The upcoming state banquet is not being held at a medical facility, nor is it a medical event in nature. The activities Chen participates in must be related to his medical needs, or he might violate the provisions of his medical parole,” prison warden Huang Wei-hsien (黃維賢) said.
Huang said Chen would risk having his medical parole revoked should he violate the rules, but added that the decision on whether to cancel the former president’s parole lies with the Ministry of Justice.
Huang made the remarks hours after Chen’s son, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中), posted on Facebook a picture showing an invitation addressed to his parents along with two VIP passes for Tsai’s state dinner, which is to be held at the Taipei Marriott Hotel on Friday evening.
Chen Chih-chung said whether his parents would attend the state banquet hinges on a professional evaluation of his father’s health, adding that the invitation was issued by the incoming Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) government out of respect for former presidents.
Chen Shui-bian, who was in office from 2000 to 2008, has served more than six years of a 20-year prison term for several convictions on corruption charges.
Medical parole granted to the former president has been extended six times since he was first granted compassionate release from the prison’s Pei Teh Hospital in January last year. The former president’s health is re-evaluated every three months, with his seventh parole term set to expire on Aug. 4.
Although it remains uncertain whether Chen Shui-bian will make an appearance at the banquet, the matter galvanized a heated debate yesterday.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Central Policy Committee director Alex Tsai (蔡正元) criticized the DPP’s issuance of an invitation to Chen Shui-bian, saying that inviting a corrupt politician to a state banquet when he is still in the midst of his prison sentence would set a ridiculous precedent.
However, DPP Legislator Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said the banquet should be regarded as an opportunity for Chen Shui-bian to “go out and relax.”
“Is walking on the streets medically related? It should be OK for the former president to go out and relax,” Koo said.
New Power Party caucus convener Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明) said news of the invitation was “heartwarming,” but that it would be up to Chen’s family to decide whether to attend.
Minister of Justice Luo Ying-shay (羅瑩雪) said while the purpose of medical parole is for the inmate to receive medical treatment, she would not oppose Chen Shui-bian’s attendance at the state banquet should he obtain prior approval from the concerned government agencies.
Additional reporting by Abraham Gerber
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as