Construction of the first phase of the light rail system in New Taipei City’s Tamsui District (淡水) is 30.95 percent complete, the city’s Department of Rapid Transit Systems announced on Friday.
Work began on the 9.52km first phase of the project in September 2014 and is scheduled to be completed by the end of 2018.
The department also announced the Chinese names of the 14 stops to be built in the current phase of the project, but the English names have yet to be decided.
Photo: CNA, provided by the New Taipei City Government
The tram system’s first phase encompasses 14 stops on two tram lines — the Lushan (Green Mountain) Line, which has 11 stops, and the Lanhai (Blue Seaside) Line, which has three stops.
The Lushan Line starts from the Hongshulin MRT station and runs along Zhongzheng E Road, Provincial Highway No. 2, Binhai Road and Shalun Road, and ends near the Danhai New Town project.
The Lanhai Line shares the 1.21km section of track and three stops along Shalun Road with the Lushan Line before going in the other direction on Binhai Road and ending at Fisherman’s Wharf.
The first phase is being built by a consortium led by the government-invested China Steel Corp.
The department said it plans to unveil the carriages to be used on the tram lines, which are being built locally by Taiwan Rolling Stock Co, by the end of this year.
The total budget for the Danhai light-rail system, including a second phase to extend the Lanhai Line along the Tamsui River between Fisherman’s Wharf and the Tamsui metro station, is NT$15.3 billion (US$474.24 million), according to the department.
The tram lines are part of the development of the 1,748.7 hectare Danhai New Town, which was launched in 1992 and hopes to attract a population of 300,000 by 2036.
As of last month, the total population of Tamsui District was 163,141, according to city government statistics.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty