Minister without portfolio-designate Chang Ching-sen (張景森), yesterday apologized for his comments made about a campaign against a controversial urban renewal project in Taipei, but defended valuing the rights of the public more than those of individual property owners when it comes to expropriation and forced demolition for urban renewal.
“I would like to make it clear here that was an inappropriate satirical post, and I would like to formally apologize for it,” Chang said in a 3,000-word statement on Facebook. “As a government official-to-be who will soon be handling public policies, I interpreted the campaign in a scornful way, which does not help enhance communications and would only hurt the feelings of those who took part in the campaign. I must admit this mistake, accept all criticism, and apologize to the public.”
Chang was referring to post he made on Facebook earlier in the week in which he said that a family, surnamed Wang (王), living in Taipei’s Shilin District (士林) who opposed an urban renewal project was eventually given five units in a newly built luxury apartment building, with a market value of more than NT$100 million (US$3.1 million).
The forced eviction of the Wang family from their home and demolition of the property by a city government demolition squad — escorted by about 1,000 police officers — saw violent clashes with mostly student activists siding with the Wangs that triggered harsh criticism from the public.
Chang said that he “pities” the student activists who shed tears for the Wang family.
Chang deleted the post within minutes, but still drew public ire.
Chang also said that, having been an academic specializing in urban planning and serving in several government positions, he upholds the values of city planning to make Taiwan safe, beautiful and comfortable.
“Civic groups that have directly interacted with me know that I am not too different from them in pushing for reforms, but I may be different when it comes to strategy, action, and judgements on priority because of my practical experience,” Chang said.
Chang said that he would always place public interest as the priority of his policy objectives and while he also respects individual property owners’ rights, he would try to persuade them to make concessions to benefit the greater good.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as