A pedestrian overpass on the intersection of Xinyi and Keelung roads close to Taipei 101 could be demolished next year due to its low usage, the Taipei Department of Public Works said.
Taipei Department of Public Works Maintenance Section head Chen Bing-lin (陳炳麟) said that in October last year zebra crossings were added to the intersection under the L-shaped overpass and now about 90 percent of pedestrians have stopped using the overpass and it is nearly redundant.
Chen said the department would submit a budget request for the demolition of the overpass to the Taipei City Council in September.
He said that the department in January sealed off the overpass for 21 days to test the response and that it received a dozen e-mails of complaint from city residents, most of whom were photography enthusiasts who wanted to take time-lapse photographs of the traffic flowing past Taipei 101.
He said that the demolition would improve the urban landscape.
The city has since 2012 embarked on a project to tear down overpasses and seal off underground passages that are rarely used, with eight overpasses and nine underground passages to be decommissioned this year at a cost of NT$35 million (US$1.07 milliom), Chen said.
The city has 79 overpasses, with the 46-year-old one next to Xing Ya Elementary School in Xinyi District (信義) being the oldest, Chen said, adding that it is to be preserved due to its historical status.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated