Lawmakers across party lines yesterday criticized a recent search by military police of the home of a man who allegedly had documents pertaining to the White Terror era, saying such conduct was reminiscent of the darkest period in the nation’s history.
“Such a home search is utterly reprehensible given that there is little chance the act of possessing documents from a period marred by the absence of the rule of law would break any laws,” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Kuan Bi-ling (管碧玲) said on Facebook.
Kuan said she has written to the Ministry of National Defense demanding an explanation for the Feb. 19 search of the house belonging to a man, surnamed Wei (魏), who has been charged by the Taipei Military Police Station with possessing stolen property and interfering with personal privacy by selling old government documents.
According to an Internet post on Saturday by Wei’s daughter, her father’s collection of several White Terror era documents was confiscated by military police after they searched her home without a warrant.
She said that her father had been taken in for questioning, which lasted several hours, and was not released until midnight. The ministry subsequently offered him NT$15,000 in “hush money,” she said.
The Military Police Command yesterday dismissed her claims, saying her father had signed a consent form for the search and had voluntarily handed over the documents. The investigation was conducted in accordance with due process, it said.
DPP spokesman Yang Chia-liang (楊家俍) said in a news release that such conduct was unimaginable in a democratic nation, and went beyond the military police’s mandate.
“We denounce such an unlawful abuse of power and infringement of human rights,” Yang said, urging the government agencies involved to discipline the responsible personnel and the legislature to step up its supervision of such matters.
New Power Party (PFP) Legislator Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明) said the incident was a repeat of the White Terror era.
His office has asked the Military Police Command and ministry officials to attend a news conference today to clarify the situation.
“I have also demanded that they make public relevant documents,” Hsu wrote on Facebook.
The People First Party caucus issued a statement saying that any search of a private residence required a warrant and that even an emergency case would need consent from judicial authorities afterward.
“This case was neither urgent nor did it pose a threat to the public. The Military Police Station’s conduct crossed the red line of human rights laid down by the Constitution and indicates a need for further legal education,” the caucus said.
Caucus director Chang Sho-wen (張碩文) said the apparent lack of legal training for military police shows that the nation’s authoritarian legacy continues to linger.
“Military police officers are mainly responsible for investigating cases involving military personnel... Illegal questioning of civilians by military police is a product of the authoritarian regime and should not continue to exist in a democracy,” Chang said.
Caucus convener Lee Hung-chun (李鴻鈞) said the government must find out who ordered the military police to investigate Wei.
We must not let the remainders of authoritarianism continue to hang over our democratic society, Lee said.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Culture and Communications Committee director-general Lin Yi-hua (林奕華) said the ministry should look into the matter and apologize to the public if any process of the investigation was improper.
“If no irregularities were involved, the ministry should also explain the probing process in detail to the public,” Lin said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as