The Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) on Wednesday night announced plans to lay off all of its employees, as the New Power Party (NPP) begins plans to set up offices nationwide.
The TSU said in a news release that its employees are to be laid off to give a future party chairman “complete space if he decides to continue.”
The party said that former chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) had already submitted his resignation following disappointing results in Saturday’s legislative elections, with secretary-general Lin Chih-chia (林志嘉) and former legislator Cheng Cheng-lung (程振隆) to handle party affairs until a new chairman is appointed.
Cheng is said to be providing the party with transitional financial support.
Party secretary-general Lin Chih-chia (林志嘉) was quoted in the Chinese-language Apple Daily as saying that a total of 22 people would be laid off. The contract for the party’s offices near the Legislative Yuan are due to expire at the end of March, he said.
The party’s decision came after it lost all of its legislative seats in Saturday’s elections and failed to cross the threshold required to receive government subsidies, leading to rumors that it is considering disbanding.
Lin said that a majority of party officials in an internal meeting felt it should not disband, adding that Huang had sought an audience with the party’s “spiritual leader” — former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) — on the party’s future when he submitted his resignation.
While Lee — who is recovering from a minor stroke — declined to meet with Huang, he reportedly urged for the party to continue and reinvent itself in a letter, volunteering Cheng to help with its financial difficulties.
Meanwhile, the New Power Party (NPP)— which won five seats — yesterday said that it was planning a major staff expansion, with a focus on establishing regional offices to begin building up a national grassroots network.
“We hope to have more local party members and because prior to the elections, it was almost impossible for us to engage in cultivation, this will be our focus after the election,” NPP Secretary-General Chen Hui-min (陳惠敏) said, adding that the party would establish permanent offices in Kaohsiung, Taichung, Hsinchu and Hualien.
With more than 6 percent of the national vote, the party is eligible for more than NT$37 million (US$1.1 million) in government subsidies every year and plans to move into new offices closer to the Legislative Yuan, she said.
The party’s five seats also make it eligible to establish a legislative caucus, providing it with additional funding to hire 10 to 14 aides to help draft policy proposals, she said, adding that individual legislators would also receive additional government subsidies and funding.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as