Dozens of Changhua residents and activists yesterday rallied in front of the Environmental Protection Administration (EPA) in Taipei to protest a proposed coal-fired power plant, with no end to the 11-year-long battle over the project in sight.
The rally was timed to coincide with the EPA hosting the 15th environmental review of the project.
Taiwan Power Co’s (Taipower) proposal to build a two-generator plant on a 152 hectare property in the Changhua Coastal Industrial Park in Lugang Township (鹿港) was first submitted for an environmental assessment review in 2004. Between 2004 and 2007, the first round of reviews were held and the Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) committee concluded that the project should be rejected.
However, before the EPA could formally adopt the committee’s decision, Taipower withdrew its submission to prevent a wholesale rejection.
The company resubmitted the project in 2008, almost unchanged from its original submission, and the project underwent another round of reviews up to August 2010, after which little was heard from Taipower about the proposal.
However, last month the company sent a collection of documents to the EPA to reopen the review process.
Changhua Environmental Protection Union director Tsai Chia-yang (蔡嘉揚) said that Taipower, in its 2004 proposal, said that Taiwan would face power shortages by 2011 without the Changhua plant, but the nation has survived so far without it, suggesting the company’s claims are inaccurate exaggerations.
Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇) said the project should have been rejected years ago, but has somehow survived 15 environmental reviews.
“The plan [submitted today] is still based on data collected 10 years ago. The project is an insult to the intelligence of Taiwanese and an abuse of the EIA review system,” Tien said.
Attorney and environmental activist Thomas Chan (詹順貴), who was a member of the EIA committee that reviewed the project until 2007, said he resigned from the committee because the EPA allowed Taipower to withdraw the project before it could be formally rejected, thereby opening a loophole in the EIA system to enable unqualified projects to exit and re-enter the system.
“According to the Environmental Impact Assessment Act (環境影響評估法), no project can be resubmitted if it contains elements that have been rejected by an EIA committee. The latest Changhua plant proposal is apparently the same as the earlier versions, but the EPA has ignored this obvious fact and started another review. What is collusion, if this is not?” Chan said.
The EIA committee yesterday decided to return the project to the Ministry of Economic Affairs because it was resubmitted for more than a seven-year period and does not fit into the current environment.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy