SOCIETY
Noodles mark Tsai victory
A restaurant in Kaohsiung is offering a discount on its trademark dish to celebrate the election of Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) as the nation’s first female president. The restaurant is to sell a bowl of big-bone noodles for NT$60 instead of its usual price of NT$90 until the end of this month. The owner, surnamed Huang (黃), said he initially planned to sell the noodles for NT$30, but changed his mind for fear of harming business for other restaurants. Huang said he set the price at NT$60 because Tsai is to turn 60 this year. He said Tsai’s victory represents women’s success and hopes that she can revitalize the sluggish economy after she assumes office. If well-received, the discount could be extended until the president-elect’s May 20 inauguration, Huang said.
POLITICS
Runner-up demands recount
DPP legislative candidate Hsu Ching-wen (徐景文) has filed for a vote recount with the Taoyuan District Court after losing an electoral race in the city with a margin of less than 0.25 percent. A judge yesterday seized the ballots and poll books at 173 voting stations in the city’s third electoral district and ordered police to guard them around the clock. Hsu made the request on Monday after losing to Apollo Chen (陳學聖) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT). Hsu received 77,120 votes, or 44.4896 percent, compared with Chen’s 77,510 votes, or 44.7146 percent. According to the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法), a recount can be requested if the difference between two candidates is less than 0.3 percent. The law stipulates that once an appeal for a vote recount is made, the results should be announced within 20 days.
CULTURE
Museum raises visitor quota
The National Palace Museum Southern Branch in Chiayi County has increased its daily visitor quota for next month from 1,750 to 5,000 to meet growing demand. The museum opened late last year on a trial basis. Under the original plan, it was intended to accept 1,000 free visits per day until the end of its trial run on March 31. The quota was then increased to 1,750 per day due to rising demand to tour the new museum, which was designed by architect Kris Yao (姚仁喜), the museum said. As the winter break for students and the Lunar New Year holiday are approaching, the museum decided to further raise the daily quota to 5,000 for next month, it said. Individuals or tour groups planning to visit the southern branch must book permits online in advance at the museum’s official Web site, with registration for visits next month to start today.
CRIME
Police search for slasher
Police are still trying to track down a Vietnamese migrant worker who allegedly slashed four of his compatriots with a knife in Nantou County over the weekend. The Nantou Precinct on Monday said that the four foreign workers were gathering at a Vietnamese eatery at about 5pm on Sunday when about seven or eight foreign workers rushed in and one of them slashed the four with a knife. The suspect and his friends fled the scene in two vehicles. The four injured Vietnamese were rushed to a hospital and their situation was stable. The most seriously injured was a worker who had two fingers cut off. Two of the injured people checked out of the hospital on Monday, while the other two remained hospitalized.They said that they did not know the suspect or why they were targeted.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated