Amid growing public opposition to the proposed cross-strait trade in goods agreement, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) presidential candidate Eric Chu (朱立倫) yesterday said the government should draw up comprehensive compensatory measures before inking a deal with China.
Chu made the remarks during an interview with China TV yesterday morning, in which he criticized the administration of President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) handling of the controversial cross-strait service trade agreement signed in Shanghai in June 2013.
“When we reflect on the service trade agreement, it was marred by a lack of communication and the government’s ambiguous planning,” said Chu, who took over the KMT chairmanship from Ma in January.
Given the sensitive nature of the two sides of the Taiwan Strait signing a deal, Chu said if he had been in power, he would have handled the issue in a more discreet manner and laid down a full compensatory plan before signing the treaty.
Chu said the president should have also assessed the matter from a strategic point of view to determine whether to sign the service trade agreement or the trade in goods agreement first.
“The service trade agreement involves people, while the trade in goods treaty concerns money. Which do you think causes more emotions: People or money?” Chu asked.
The cross-strait service trade agreement has been stalled in the legislature since KMT Legislator Chang Ching-chung’s (張慶忠) move to rush it through a committee review in March last year prompted scores of students to occupy the Legislative Yuan in Taipei for almost 23 days — an event dubbed the Sunflower movement.
The 12th round of negotiations on the cross-strait trade in goods agreement, which concluded in Taipei on Monday, were dogged by protests saying that the deal would only benefit large corporations at the expense of farmers and small businesses.
The KMT chairman said if the nation were negotiating a deal with the Philippines or any other member of ASEAN, the impact and ideological opposition it would cause would be far less than an agreement being signed with China.
However, Taiwan must head toward economic openness if it wants a brighter future, Chu said.
“The process of opening up will undoubtedly be painful, but you cannot make an omelet without breaking some eggs,” Chu said. “That is why the government must prepare compensatory and antifraud mechanisms beforehand.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as