The Chinese Nationalist Party’s (KMT) third convention of the Central Committee formally confirmed all 34 nominees for legislator-at-large positions yesterday.
The top 12 members on the list are considered to be “safe” — meaning they are virtually assured of getting legislative seats — and include five holding expertise or knowledge in other fields: academic Ko Chih-en (柯志恩), doctor Chen Yi-min (陳宜民), Lin Li-chan (林麗蟬), whose wife is an immigrant from Cambodia, TEDxTaipei cofounder Jason Hsu (許毓仁) and Financial Supervisory Commission Chairman William Tseng (曾銘宗).
The other candidates who secured “safe seats” are all political veterans: Legislative Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平), Legislator Huang Chao-shun (黃昭順), former Taoyuan County commissioner John Wu (吳志揚), former legislator Chang Li-shan (張麗善), Hualien County Commissioner Fu Kun-chi’s (傅崑萁) wife, Hsu Chen-wei (徐榛蔚), Presidential Office Secretary-General Tseng Yung-chuan (曾永權) and Legislator Alicia Wang (王育敏).
Photo: CNA
KMT Chairman Eric Chu (朱立倫) said legislator-at-large candidates are considered for conforming to social expectations and political realities, and half are nominated for their professional skills and knowledge.
“We wish to put more professionals in the Legislative Yuan, and while the KMT has the talent needed for political negotiation, representation of different areas must also be considered,” Chu said.
“The KMT has faced great difficulties and it has persevered by facing challenges head-on,” Chu said.
He said the list of nominees would likely face some criticism, but that the party cannot stop the reform process, adding that the KMT must always look forward, not back.
Chu said that while the party welcomes any criticism and apologizes to those who did not make the nomination list, members should trust the party and believe it has done its best to balance the needs of each district.
He said the party would make certain the legislators-at-large know the responsibilities that come with their title in order to avoid a situation similar to that of Huang, who in September withdrew from the legislative election in her Kaohsiung constituency for “purely personal reasons.”
Huang had said at the time that after a “painful mental struggle” she decided to withdraw, adding that her decision had nothing to do with “fear of combat” and that she was not “jumping ship.” Huang was replaced in the Kaohsiung race by former Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) deputy director Chang Hsien-yao (張顯耀), who last year was accused by then-MAC minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) of leaking confidential information to China, but in the end was not indicted by prosecutors.
KMT Secretary-General Lee Shu-chuan (李四川) said after yesterday’s convention that, according to party regulations, rejecting a nomination requires half of all attending votes to be against a nominee, and that Jason Hsu, who some consider too “green,” received 66 against and 62 in support of his candidacy.
A total of 158 committee members cast their votes yesterday, meaning Jason Hsu would need 79 votes against him to have his nomination revoked. Jason Hsu had the most nay votes, followed by 60 for Hsu Chiao-hsin (徐巧芯), Chu’s campaign office spokesperson, who is 17th on the list, and KMT Yilan chapter director Lin Hsin-hua (林信華) with 55 votes.
“The regulations are in place for good reason, and personal wishes for nominated candidates to make it into the ‘safe seats’ makes the job of the secretary-general unenviable,” Lee said, adding that the party would be in trouble if members do not put aside their personal wishes.
Chu said that while many people considered it impossible to win the Jan. 16 elections, the party must be strong and determined because it is not running for their generation, but for the next generation.
“Taiwan should offer its children the chance of ‘standing on the shoulders of giants’ when competing against others,” Chu said, adding that his generation’s duty is to be giants, so that Taiwanese children will be able to see more.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as