The New Power Party (NPP) yesterday announced the final order of its legislator-at-large candidates, with Amis activist Kawlo Iyun Pacidal heading the party’s list.
Kawlo was followed on the list by Soochow University political science professor Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明); National Taiwan University economics professor Jang Show-ling (鄭秀玲); lawyer Ko Shao-chen (柯劭臻); Hondao Senior Citizens’ Welfare Foundation chief executive Doris Lin (林依瑩); and film director Ko I-chen (柯一正).
The order was determined based on the results of an online survey of party members and supporters, followed by adjustments by the party’s executive committee.
Photo: Chu Pei-hsiung, Taipei Times
NPP Secretary-General Chen Hui-min (陳惠敏) said that Ko Shao-chen — who withdrew from a Taichung district race last week — had originally ranked second in the online poll, but chose to “make way” (禮讓) for Kawlo and Jang after a two-hour meeting.
Kawlo — who originally placed third in the online vote — was then moved to first place to abide by constitutional requirements that women comprise no less than half of a party’s legislators-at-large, Chen said.
Party officials had previously urged members and supporters to back Kawlo, and Chen said the adjusted list was intended to highlight the party’s economic policy and advocacy for Aboriginal rights.
Ko Shao-chen declined to respond to questions regarding why she chose to yield her position.
Hsu was the only other party official on the list, after also withdrawing from a Taichung legislative district race earlier this year.
The NPP said 430 party members and 1,623 supporters voted on the candidates’ ranking.
Supporters register with the party, but are not required to pay membership dues.
The party’s support in most polls has hovered at above 5 percent, the threshold for being awarded seats for legislators-at-large. Surpassing the threshold would automatically entitle the party to two legislator-at-large seats.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty