A referendum petition drive for a national vote on the legalization of same-sex marriage was announced by the newly founded Faith and Hope League (FHL) party yesterday.
FHL candidates and representatives of related civic groups shouted “yes” to cries of “protect family and children” as they stood behind petitions against same-sex marriage collected two years earlier.
They said they would begin collecting petitions next week to build on the existing forms and push for a referendum on changes to the legal definition of family.
Photo: CNA
“Anything that would change the definition of family should be decided by the people as a whole rather than by legislators,” league co-chairman Wang Ping-seng (王秉森) said.
“Because this is an extremely broad and complex issue, it should be decided through a national consensus,” he said.
He said that research conducted by the Ministry of Justice had found 342 articles in 109 different laws would be affected by changes to the legal definition of family.
Party members questioned the validity of polls showing that a majority of people support same-sex marriage, adding that restrictions were necessary to prevent legislators from “sneaking through” (偷渡) changes.
“Any change to the structure [of family] should be made only through the most real and authentic expression of public opinion — a government-sponsored referendum,” FHL cochairwoman Joanna Lei (雷倩) said.
The league — whose leadership is made of of people who have a background in church-related organizations — has made opposition to gay rights the focus of its campaign since it was founded earlier this year.
Chen Yi-fang (陳怡芳), a division chief with the general planning division of the Central Election Commission, said that there is no time limit for when referendum petitions submitted in the initial phase have to be collected, adding that the referendum language used on the forms should be identical with proposed language.
If the referendum question is approved, petitioners would then have six months to collect a second round of signatures equal to 5 percent of the votes in the most recent presidential election, making it “practically impossible” for the proposed referendum to be held in conjunction with the January elections, she said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as