Meeting recruitment goals for legislator-at-large candidates has proved impossible, New Power Party (NPP) officials said yesterday, adding that the party would only nominate five or six at-large candidates, rather than eight as originally planned.
“There were difficulties as we consulted with prospective candidates, with many people unable to get the consent of their families,” NPP Secretary-General Chen Hui-min (陳惠敏) said.
Any candidate nominated by the party needs to demonstrate long-term perseverance and experience pushing for reform in their particular field, she said, adding that the party’s main objective was to nominate candidates who could “cover” issues for which its district candidates lacked expertise.
The party is to introduce its final legislative candidates today, including National Taiwan University economics professor Jang Show-ling (鄭秀玲), as well as another possible candidate who has yet to formally accept, she said.
The party yesterday introduced Soochow University political science professor Hsu Yung-ming (徐永明), with previously announced candidates including Aboriginal activist Kawlo Iyun Pacidal, renowned theater director Ko I-chen (柯一正), and Hondao Senior Citizens Welfare Foundation chief executive Doris Lin (林依瑩).
Of the candidates currently announced, only Hsu, who also heads the party’s policy working group, is an active party official.
He said at-large candidates would present their policy stances in a series of events this week, including two televised presentations tomorrow and on Thursday, followed by three sessions over the weekend.
Online voting is to begin on Monday next week and continue until Nov. 19, with party officials previously stating that voting would be open to anyone who has formally registered as a “friend of the NPP,” in addition to party members who have paid dues.
Party Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) said that permitting party voting for the at-large legislative list rankings was necessary in order to prevent parties from protecting unpopular politicians by placing them high on at-large lists.
Party leaders have actively endorsed Kawlo Iyun Pacidal, urging voters to place her in the party’s top slot.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as