The Taiwan High Court yesterday upheld the death sentence and revoked for life the civil rights of Cheng Chieh (鄭捷), who was convicted in March by a lower court of killing four passengers in a premeditated knife attack on Taipei’s Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) system in May last year.
Judges on the High Court’s Collegiate Bench upheld an earlier ruling finding Cheng guilty on four counts of murder, 13 counts of attempted murder and the attempted murder of nine under-aged persons.
Twenty-two-year-old Cheng, currently incarcerated at the Taipei Detention Center in New Taipei City’s Tucheng District (土城), chose not to appear in court for yesterday’s ruling.
Photo: CNA
As yesterday’s ruling was for the death sentence, the case must be appealed to the Supreme Court, according to the nation’s judicial procedures.
After five months of deliberation, judges found that Cheng carried out the killings with cruelty and afterward did not show remorse. The judges said there is no likelihood of rehabilitation.
“When committing this crime, the passengers being attacked cried out in pain and others ran in panic. However, Cheng showed no mercy and seemed to feel no sympathy, but continued the attack,” the judges’ statement said, adding that Cheng seemed to show no compassion.
The judges said that the crime was premeditated by Cheng, and he took up physical training and carefully devised a plan to carry out the crime. Cheng seemed to feel no guilt and showed no remorse for his crime.
“His attitude was repugnant. Victims and families of victims to this day are unable to forgive Cheng for this crime,” the judges said, giving reasons for upholding the first ruling.
The judges said that Cheng does not qualify for a reduction of punishment as someone with a mental deficiency or psychological disorder.
In addition, Cheng had been named in several civil lawsuits filed by victims, victims’ families and Taipei Rapid Transit Corp for damages, which comes to NT$120 million (US$3.66 million).
Li Jui-chang (李瑞昌), whose elder sister, Lee Tsui-yun (李翠雲), was among four killed in the attack on May 21 last year, said the civil lawsuits are aimed at seeking justice and putting responsibility on Cheng.
“We all know there will be no compensation, because Cheng has no property or assets. His family has washed their hands of the responsibility by cutting off links with him,” she said.
“I do not accept his apology [made at trial] at all. Cheng said it because his lawyer told him to. It was just acting, there was no sincerity in it,” Lee said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as