The Ministry of Foreign Affairs should prohibit government-funded organizations from attending official events held by the Chinese government, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) said yesterday, citing as an example a Taiwan Foundation for Democracy (TFD) official who attended China’s military parade last month.
Tsai asked Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) during a question-and-answer session at the legislature’s Foreign and National Defense Committee whether it is appropriate for staff of government-subsidized institutes to attend the parade in Beijing.
“It is not appropriate,” Lin said.
Tsai was referring to George Tsai (蔡瑋), then-vice president of TFD who visited China and attended the military parade last month.
“The TFD is a foundation that is fully subsidized — with NT$105 million [US$3.23 million] – by the ministry,” the lawmaker said.
“The foundation is one that is supposed to champion democracy, liberty and human rights. George Tsai’s participation in the military parade has damaged the values upheld by the foundation,” he said.
Lin said he was not informed of the matter before or after the event.
“TFD president Huang Teh-fu (黃德福) also did not approve of the visit and asked George Tsai to leave. However, under pressure from higher authorities, he was able to stay in the foundation as a senior research fellow,” the lawmaker said.
Tsai Huang-liang added that George Tsai’s presence during the military parade was tantamount to an endorsement of China flexing its military muscle and denying Taiwanese sovereignty.
Lin said he would pass the legislator’s opinion on to the foundation, but did not promise to issue a ban, saying: “The foundation is an independently run organization.”
The TFD later said that George Tsai did not attend the military parade “in his capacity as the foundation’s vice president,” but as a professor at Chinese Culture University in Taipei.
The foundation added that George Tsai was transferred to his new post of senior research fellow because his term as vice president ended last month.
His term as research fellow, which started this month, is scheduled to end on June 16 next year, it said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and