Attorneys volunteering to represent people who participated in the Sunflower movement protests last year against the government’s handling of the cross-strait service trade agreement yesterday submitted a petition to the Taipei City Government asking for state compensation on behalf of 30 alleged victims of state violence.
Taipei Deputy Commissioner of Legal Affairs Lin Shu-hua (林淑華) accepted the petition on behalf of the city government.
Last month, Lin Ming-hui (林明慧) won a lawsuit accusing the state of violence after he sustained a head injury after being apprehended by police officers in a protest in front of the Executive Yuan on March 24 last year.
Photo: Hsiao Ting-fang, Taipei Times
Lin Ming-hui had filed an administrative lawsuit against the Executive Yuan, the Taipei City Government, the National Police Agency and the Taipei Police Department for violating the Act Governing the Use of Police Weapons (警械使用條例).
The Taipei District Court ruled that the Taipei City Government had to compensate Lin Min-hui NT$300,000 (US$9,150) for the head injury, which the city chose not to appeal.
Citing the case, the attorneys said they are seeking restitution of approximately NT$10.06 million on behalf of 30 alleged victims of violence.
Lawyer Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said that the police officer who attacked Lin Ming-hui has yet to be identified, meaning that nobody could be held accountable.
After a similar situation at a protest against the Ministry of Education’s adjustments to the high-school curriculum guidelines on July 23, in which the police officer who attacked protesters was not identified, Koo said the city government should establish standard procedures regulating how the police enforce laws at protests in which police officers must properly identify themselves when enforcing the law.
Chen Yu-fan (陳雨凡), a lawyer with the Judicial Reform Foundation, said the lawyers representing the victims are discussing if they should continue to attempt to hold the Executive Yuan and the National Police Agency legally accountable for the violent acts committed against protesters during demonstrations.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with