The three journalists arrested while covering an intrustion into the Ministry of Education compound on July 23 yesterday said the report released by the Taipei City Government on the incident does not shed any light on the key questions surrounding the arrests.
Liberty Times (the Taipei Times’ sister newspaper) photographer Liao Chen-hui (廖振輝), Sung Hsiao-hai (宋小海) of news Web site Coolloud.org.tw (苦勞網) and freelance journalist Lin Yu-yu (林雨佑) were among 33 people arrested the day after a group of student activists entered the building to protest adjustments to the high-school curriculum guidelines.
Following the arrests, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) issued a public apology and directed a city government task force to investigate. It released a draft report on its findings yesterday after meeting with the reporters, students and police.
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
The report offered no criticism of the police and concluded with suggestions that police look into their decisionmaking processes and keep their emotions in check during fast-changing situations at protests.
Lin and Sung blasted the report at a press conference held outside the entrance of Taipei City Hall yesterday, saying it was “devoid of content” and reads like a grade-school report.
Lin said that the report was disappointing, with recommendations limited to improving the human rights education of police officers and directing police officers to pay attention to their attitude and methods.
“Could it be that’s Ko’s apology was fake?” Lin asked, adding that the report did not recommend any changes to the designation of police media contact officers, even though they had not seen any contact officers during the arrests.
The police department was directed to designate media contact officers at protest sites earlier this year after dropping proposals to require reporters to wear special vests and conduct interviews only in designated areas.
Ko has said that designating a media contact officer for the ministry break-in would have been impractical because of the suddenness of the incident.
Lin added that even though the police department said that the arrests were a special case because they took place at a crime scene, he had not been arrested while reporting on earlier break-ins at the Executive Yuan and the K-12 Education Administration buildings in Taipei.
Lawyer Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said the investigation detailed in the report was “perfunctory,” with no clear record of interviews with police officers.
Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) should resign if the ministry was clear about the whereabouts of the reporters, but still chose to sue, while Zhongzheng First Precinct Police Chief Chang Chi-wen (張奇文) should resign if the police department misled the ministry into believing the reporters had aided the break-in, he said, calling for the city government to clarify who was responsible for the arrests.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with