Plans to phase out conscription and implement an all-volunteer military will almost certainly be pushed back to at least 2017, not just postponed to next year, Ministry of National Defense officials said yesterday.
Deputy Chief of General Staff for Personnel Lieutenant General Hsu Yen-pu (徐衍璞) said that if a 90 percent recruitment goal cannot be met next year, conscription would likely be kept for 2017.
The ministry has seen a steady growth in the number of eligible men and women signing up to be career soldiers, “so the number of people called up for conscription will be less in the future,” Hsu said.
“We will assess the numbers at the end of the year to monitor changes to meet the requirements, but the trend will be for less conscription soldiers in the coming years,” he said.
“To meet the nation’s defense and security needs, we will call up 23,100 eligible males born before 1993 for conscription next year,” he said, adding that the number is much less than the 58,615 people called up this year.
Establishing an all-volunteer military, consisting entirely of career soldiers, is considered one of President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) most important pledges.
According to high-ranking officials who asked not to be named, many generals and others in the top echelons of the military are opposed to phasing out the national conscription system, which is part of a plan initiated last year by then-minister of national defense Yen Ming (嚴明) to downsize the armed forces.
According to the program, the combined armed forces was to be reduced from 275,000 to 215,000 by the end of last year, then further trimmed to about 170,000 to 190,000 between this year and 2019.
The program aims to recruit about 10,000 career soldiers from this year to meet troop requirements.
The ministry’s rush to fulfill the all-volunteer plan and other aspects of the program has led to troop deficiencies, with the most acute personnel shortage being among marine corps, the army’s armored brigades, mechanized infantry units, artillery brigades, air force anti-aircraft artillery units, navy warship crews, along with coast guard troops stationed on front lines and outlying islands, reports said.
Commenting on the Presidential Office’s remarks that the all-volunteer military plan is being postponed because the administration of former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) had already shortened the length of military service, Democratic Progressive Party Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) said that the government was being irresponsible.
“Ma has been in power for more than seven years; the government has had sufficient time to think and to execute its policy,” Tsai said.
Additional reporting by Loa Iok-sin
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as