A recent job reassignment by the Ministry of Justice of three Tainan prosecutors has been questioned by pan-green politicians as politically motivated, allegedly meant to influence the outcome of a judicial probe into vote-buying allegations involving Tainan City Council Speaker Lee Chuan-chiao (李全教) of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT).
Lee is involved in bribery charges in both the city councilor and council speaker elections, with Tainan City Mayor William Lai (賴清德) of the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) refusing to attend any of the municipality’s council meetings until Lee’s cases are settled.
The ministry on Wednesday last week approved the promotion and transfer list of 155 prosecutors and judicial officials to fill vacancies in judicial agencies and regional offices, following the convening of the Prosecutors’ Personnel Review Committee.
The announcement included 37 prosecutors transferred to second-trial courts, 56 to first-trial courts and 62 new prosecutors were put on probation-period assignments.
Those reassigned included Tainan District Prosecutors’ Office deputy chief prosecutor Tsai Li-yi (蔡麗宜); Tainan District Prosecutors’ Office’s “Crackdown on Black Gold” head prosecutor Chung Ho-hsien (鍾和憲) and prosecutor Chou Meng-hsiang (周盟翔).
DPP Tainan branch spokeswoman Chiu Li-li (邱莉莉) said Minister of Justice Luo Ying-shay (羅瑩雪) made the final decision on transfers and promotions of prosecutorial officials by circling names from the submitted list.
“On the surface, it might look like a routine job reassignment, but the timing was highly sensitive,” Chiu said.
“It made people wonder whether there was a hidden agenda. People are also likely to worry whether the moves would affect the pace and outcome of an ongoing investigation into Lee’s alleged vote-buying,” she said.
Chiu said that Chung and Chou were members of Tainan District Prosecutors’ Office’s “Crackdown on Black Gold” taskforce, who led police and judicial officials to seize a ballot box and other evidence during elections for Tainan City Council speaker and deputy speaker posts last year, adding that, along with carrying out the investigation into Lee’s alleged vote-buying, they were the prosecutors who laid charges of election fraud against Lee.
Although deputy chief prosecutor Tsai was not directly engaged in the probe, she was familiar with the case, Chiu said, adding that the trio’s removal from the Tainan District Prosecutors’ Office could influence the court hearing and debates to invalidate Lee’s election to the speaker’s post.
“The timing and reassignment of the trio were highly coincidental and has made people question the political motives behind the move,” Chiu said.
Lai yesterday said the ministry’s transfer of the trio from Tainan was “incredulous, an unprecedented action,” adding that such move was highly unusual.
“I hope the new prosecutors taking up the probe can scrupulously adhere to the spirit of judicial independence,” he added.
In response to the charges, ministry officials said the move was normal and according to proper procedures for transfers and promotions.
Tainan District Prosecutors’ Office officials said the transfers and promotions were routine job reassignments by the ministry, and that, since prosecutors are guardians for people in a nation governed by law, they would handle all cases in accordance to “procedural justice,” based on the evidence and facts of each case.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as