Even though the student occupation of the Ministry of Education’s forecourt to protest against high-school curriculum guideline changes ended on Thursday last week due to the approach of Typhoon Soudelor, student leaders yesterday said that the experience of confronting the nation’s bureaucracy has not dulled their passion for social justice and vowed to continue their activism.
Critics of the controversial changes to high-school curriculum guidelines, which led to the widespread student protests, allege the adjustments impose a China-centric view on history education and obscure the history of the White Terror during the nation’s Martial Law era, when civil liberties were suspended and major incidents of political repression, such as the 228 Incident in 1947, were perpetuated by the then Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) government.
“We learned how to become truly courageous,” said Liao Chun-lun (廖崇倫), a senior member of the Apple Tree Commune, a student club at Taichung First Senior High School that was the first student body to publicly criticize the planned adjustments to the high-school curriculum guidelines.
Liao conceded that fighting the government’s bureaucracy was tremendously stressful, especially after the public conference with Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華), in which Wu rejected many of their demands.
Students said that Wu repeated the government’s stance last month “like a broken record” and that they were dejected, because their efforts were met with insincerity from the ministry.
Liao said he persisted, because he did not want to let the public down or see the protest to fail, adding that he plans to continue to be active in causes involving his school and neighborhood.
Apple Tree Commune spokesperson Chen Chien-hsun (陳建勳) said the protest was about the principle that education should be objective and fair, adding that after three months protesters had successfully drawn the public’s attention to the “black-box curriculum revisions.”
Chen said he also learned that confronting government bureaucracy is difficult, adding that the movement would continue as the students plan to practice activism in their neighborhoods and schools in the form of speaking events on the street.
Apple Tree Commune member Hsiao Chu-chun (蕭竹均) said the protest awakened the social consciousness of high-school students and provided the impetus for their participation in public affairs.
Unfortunately, he added, the government decided to hide behind barbed wire.
He said that his greatest fear is that other students might quit the movement out of despair over the government’s indifference, appealing to his fellow protesters to not lose hope and stay engaged in social issues, “because there is so much that deserves engaging.”
Meanwhile, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) is scheduled to meet with students today to discuss the incursion into the ministry compound last month.
A group of students, citing their dissatisfaction with the ministry’s failure to respond in a substantial manner to their demands, broke into the ministry compound on July 23.
The police arrested 33 people including three journalists, which sparked accusations that the police had infringed on the freedom of the press.
Ko later apologized for the arrest of the journalists and convened a special task force led by Taipei Deputy Mayor Teng Chia-chi (鄧家基) to investigate the Taipei police department’s conduct in the incident.
Additional reporting by Ko Chia-an
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as