Nearly 60 percent of Taiwanese disapprove of students’ rallies and the encirclement of the Ministry of Education compound to express their opposition to a series of revisions to the history curriculum guidelines for senior-high schools, according to the results of a survey commissioned by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) released yesterday
The survey, conducted by Trend Survey and Research on Aug. 1 and Aug. 2, showed that 58.9 percent of respondents said they disapproved of the methods used by the students to express their objections to the revised textbook guidelines, while 36.2 percent said they supported the students’ actions.
Asked if they supported surrounding the compound to demand the resignation of Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華), 58.4 percent of respondents replied “No,” while 32.3 percent said “Yes.”
Photo: Fang Pin-chao, Taipei Times
Students have taken to the streets in recent weeks to oppose changes to high-school history curriculum guidelines, which, according to the demonstrators, “are presented from the perspective of Chinese unification.”
The rallies saw student activists climb over a police barrier late on Friday last week into the forecourt of the ministry building, from where they have been confronting police ever since.
The protesters are demanding the withdrawal of the revised curriculum guidelines and the minister of eductaion’s resignation.
In a news conference at the Legislative Yuan after the publication of the survey results, KMT caucus secretary-general Lin Te-fu (林德福) said that the poll was conducted to reveal what “normal people” think about the protesting students’ behavior.
Other social opinions can be observed through the poll, Lin said, adding that “the survey data shows that 57.4 percent [of respondents] think political force should not be used to push students to the front line.”
KMT Legislator Alicia Wang (王育敏) said that many school teachers and principals have agreed that the old and new curriculum guidelines should be adopted at the same time.
She said that true education should present different points of view, allowing students to know that history is not something any particular party can determine.
“If we admit that in Taiwanese society the Republic of China perspective of history and the Taiwanese perspective of history now coexist, subsequent generations should have the right to know both of them,” Wang said.
The survey was conducted among people aged 20 and over in 22 counties and cities nationwide. A total of 800 valid samples were collected. The margin of error was plus or minus 3.5 percentage points.
In response, Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) said the that survey does nothing but raise the tensions between the protesters and the government.
The DPP has also conducted a survey on the issue, the results of which are totally opposite to those of the KMT poll, she said.
According to a survey conducted by the DPP and released on Thursday last week, as many as 72.1 percent of respondents said that implementation of the ministry’s new high-school curriculum guidelines should be postponed, while more than 60 percent think it is inappropriate for the ministry to prosecute the students who stormed the ministry’s compound on Thursday last week.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as