With a student protest occupying the Ministry of Education’s forecourt entering its 60th hour as of noon yesterday, the discipline and persistence demonstrated by protestors at the site so far have led to members of the public describing it as a “reprise” of the Sunflower movement in March and April last year.
One memorable aspect of last year’s Sunflower movement, in which student protesters’ occupied the Legislative Yuan’s main chamber for almost 23 days in protest against the government’s handling of a cross-strait service trade agreement, was the way in which protesters organized groups to clean up trash and maintained order.
Hundreds of student protesters broke through a police barricade in front of the ministry’s compound in the early hours of Friday morning, demanding that the ministry withdraw changes to high-school curriculum guidelines.
Photo: Wang Yi-sung, Taipei Times
After entering the ministry compound, the students sat at the forecourt of the ministry building, exchanging ideas about the guideline alterations throughout the day and sleeping on the ground at night, protected by those who volunteered to take shifts standing guard.
Clumps of white roses from those who mourned student activist Dai Lin (林冠華) — who allegedly took his own life on Thursday to raise public awareness about the government’s indifference toward students’ appeals — covered barricades nearby.
A main stage for speeches has been set up, along with booths offering medical treatment, media liaisons and general services.
Protesters distributed food and bottled water they had prepared for their fellow demonstrators, while volunteers at a medical station on Zhongshan S Road, in front of the ministry, took care of those suffering from heatstroke.
Some demonstrators gave out flyers to passers-by, hoping to increase public awareness of their cause.
A female student at Hsinchu County’s Hulin Junior High School, surnamed Wan (萬), said she had slept outside the ministry building to express solidarity with other student protesters.
“I would like to express my gratitude to the high-school students for everything they have done,” she said.
Over the past two days, the protesters awoke at 7am for a group newspaper reading and discussion session, after which they vowed never to leave the compound unless the ministry withdraws the controversial curriculum guidelines.
Police on Saturday morning removed barbed wire and barricades. Later, some student protesters also performed a Hoklo (also known as Taiwanese) version of Do You Hear the People Sing? from Les Miserables and a song by Hong Kong rock group Beyond, which was used as the theme of the Occupy Central movement in Hong Kong last year.
Perimeters were once again set up by nightfall, but the demonstrators’ resolve that the ministry relinquish the altered guidelines seemed to grow stronger as the sit-in progressed, as students took turns delivering speeches onstage and put the white roses back on the barricades.
A woman surnamed Chu (朱) said that before the students’ protest over the curriculum issue, her mother and grandfather had been Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) stalwarts, adding that it was not until they learned about the government’s alleged tampering with Taiwanese history that they found out how little they actually knew about Taiwan.
“I hope younger generations never have to study textbooks indoctrinating outdated ideas,” she said.
Additional reporting by Chen En-hui and Chien Li-chung
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as