Academics yesterday urged the government to make concessions in its tug-of-war with students protesting against its changes to high-school curriculum guidelines, saying it was the only way to peacefully break the current stalemate.
Hundreds of student protesters broke through a police barricade in front of the Ministry of Education compound in the early hours of Friday and occupied the forecourt, demanding that the ministry withdraw the guidelines, which they describe as having undergone “China-centric” revisions in a process that was not transparent. The students’ occupation of the site entered its 60th hour at noon yesterday.
“The impasse between the government and student protesters is only likely to ease if the former makes concessions and goodwill gestures,” Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology researcher Michael Hsiao (蕭新煌) said.
Photo: CNA
Hsiao said the scheduled extraordinary legislative session tomorrow would serve as a good opportunity for such a move, preferably an announcement by Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) of his resignation.
Students’ ongoing participation in the movement against the contentious curriculum adjustments were well-founded, Hsiao said, given that the ministry had failed to give a convincing explanation regarding its decision to make changes to the curriculum.
“Judging from the current situation, it is almost impossible for the students to back down and leave... Having Wu step down would be a more feasible first step into imposing a hiatus on the protest and allowing it to temporarily cool off,” Hsiao said.
Another sociology researcher at the institute, Hsiau A-chin (蕭阿勤), said it would be wise for the government to adopt a more delicate approach to the movement and open itself to genuine dialogues with the participants, who appeared to have become radicalized.
“Many student-led movements in the past died down because they coincided with schools’ midterm or final exams that weakened the protesters’ momentum, but there is still a month before school starts,” Hsiau said.
To prevent the current movement from spiraling out of control, those in power should listen and make compromises, Hsiau added.
“Otherwise, no one can tell how divided our country will become if the ministry wins the lawsuit against students who stormed into Wu’s office on July 23,” Hsiau said.
Meanwhile, National Taiwan University Department of Sociology professor Ho Ming-sho (何明修) said the manner in which the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) politically calculated and took advantage of the recent death of student protester Dai Lin (林冠華) to prop up its presidential campaign has crossed a moral boundary.
Lin, a member of the Northern Taiwan Anti-Curriculum Changes Alliance, apparently committed suicide at his family’s residence in New Taipei City on Thursday last week.
“It is up to the KMT, the nation’s ruling party, to decide how to clean up this mess. The way the party asked Democratic Progressive Party Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) to take responsibility for Lin’s death was a politically motivated move,” Ho said.
Ho said whether tomorrow’s extraordinary session would be held as scheduled hinged solely on the KMT’s attitude.
“Remember, the participants in last year’s student-led movement against a cross-strait service trade agreement only agreed to leave following a 24-day occupation of the Legislative Yuan’s main chamber after Legislature Speaker Wang Jin-pyng (王金平) made concessions that were not made by President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九),” Ho said.
“They left because they felt goodwill from the government,” he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated