The Ministry of National Defense yesterday released figures indicating it has reached 71 percent of this year’s recruitment target as it shifts to an all-volunteer force.
A total of 9,939 people had enlisted as of Thursday last week, out of 23,599 who had inquired and made an initial registration, the ministry said.
As the enlistment goal for this year is 14,000, the 9,939 recruits represent 71 percent of the target, ministry spokesperson Major General David Lo (羅紹和) said.
Re-enlistment rates among volunteer soldiers completing their service for the first half of the year was 68.2 percent, with 2,592 out of 3,803 eligible soldiers choosing to stay on, Lo said.
Lo said the figures showed that the ministry has made good progress in shifting from the conscription system to an all-volunteer force, adding that young people have been joining the military.
The ministry touted a new financial incentive program approved by the Executive Yuan in April, saying that it helped to attract and retain volunteers to serve in the armed forces.
The program stipulates that those in combat units receive a stipend of NT$5,000 per month, while those serving in support units receive a monthly stipend of NT$3,000.
Personnel who re-enlist after finishing a four-year term can also receive stipends depending on their rank and the duration of their renewed service period.
Lo said the program’s success was also due to changes to better protect soldiers’ rights and improved barracks conditions, as well as enhanced welfare and healthcare for retired officers.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Taiwan People’s Party (TPP) Chairman Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) yesterday appealed to the authorities to release former Taipei mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) from pretrial detention amid conflicting reports about his health. The TPP at a news conference on Thursday said that Ko should be released to a hospital for treatment, adding that he has blood in his urine and had spells of pain and nausea followed by vomiting over the past three months. Hsieh Yen-yau (謝炎堯), a retired professor of internal medicine and Ko’s former teacher, said that Ko’s symptoms aligned with gallstones, kidney inflammation and potentially dangerous heart conditions. Ko, charged with