The Taipei City Government was conflicted about yesterday’s decision to declare a typhoon day, halting work and closing schools, Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) said yesterday, with the halt to school and work announced later than announcements by past city administrations.
“I was scared that after we made the announcement, we’d find the next morning had perfect weather for an outing,” Ko said after hearing a report at Taipei’s Emergency Operations Center on Typhoon Chan-Hom, adding the lack of rain last night made him feel worried.
Ko said the decision to call the typhoon day was made to respect the “expert opinion” of the Central Weather Bureau, whose weather report predicted that wind speeds would reach the legal threshold for halting work and classes by noon yesterday.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
It would be “strange” for city residents to go to work only to be told to head home at about 10am,” he added.
Thursday’s 10pm announcement of yesterday’s typhoon day came two hours later than the practice of previous city administrations. Ko, a self-described standard-operating-procedure (SOP) fanatic, earlier this week had announced changes to the decision timeline to allow greater precision.
While previous administrations would declare a typhoon day before 8pm the preceding day, new city guidelines call for the decision to be postponed until 10pm if there are doubts over the typhoon’s strength and course. Further postponement to 4:30am the next day is also possible.
Meanwhile at the Emergency Operations Center, Ko directed all city departments to submit their typhoon SOPs and “checklists” to the Taipei City Fire Department for consolidation.
He added that it was “strange” that the city government would independently decide whether to release water from the Feitsui Reservoir (翡翠水庫) rather than the central government issuing unified directives for Tamsui river reservoirs.
With a typhoon watch in effect throughout northern municipalities and counties, New Taipei City, Keelung and Taoyuan also announced halts to work and classes, with Yilan County the notable exception.
A Facebook post by Yilan County Commissioner Lin Tsung-hsien (林聰賢) late on Thursday night drew substantial dissatisfaction from netizens, with more than 900 responses such as: “Who will guarantee the safety of Yilan residents?”
In a later post, Lin said Yilan would be affected less by Typhoon Chan-Hom than other northern counties and municipalities because it was leeward of the typhoon’s counter-clockwise spiral. The Central Weather Bureau had estimated that the county would receive only between 100mm and 200mm of rain, with wind speeds also falling below the threshold for a typhoon day, he said.
Lin yesterday said that because everyone hoped there would be a typhoon day, netizens’ dissatisfaction was “hard to avoid.”
He added that the county’s decisionmaking process was rigorous, based not only on the data provided by the Central Weather Bureau, but also on an analysis conducted in cooperation with Ming Chuan University.
Additional reporting by Chu Tse-wei
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as