The Supreme Court yesterday awarded Hsu Jung-chou (許榮洲), acquitted of the rape and murder of a five-year-old girl at Air Force Command Headquarters in 1996, state compensation totaling NT$1.59 million (US$50,997) for time he spent in detention during judicial proceedings.
The court awarded Hsu compensation of NT$2,000 per day for a total of 796 days he spent in detention. Hsu was initially found guilty, but subsequent appeals to higher courts saw the verdict eventually overturned due to insufficient evidence.
Yesterday’s state compensation ruling by the Supreme Court is final and cannot be appealed.
The trial over the rape and murder of the girl, surnamed Hsieh (謝), drew substantial public attention to the miscarriage of justice by military investigators and court judges after the wrongful conviction and execution of 21-year-old airman Chiang Kuo-ching (江國慶) in 1997.
It was only later that the public learned that an innocent man was put to death, as Chiang had been tortured and forced to sign a confession under duress, while investigators failed to carry out forensic examinations and no scientific verification of evidence presented by military prosecutors was carried out.
In a September 2011 retrial, a military court exonerated Chiang and awarded his family NT$103.18 million (US$3.4 million at the time) in compensation.
New evidence and witness testimony that emerged in 2000 pointed to Hsu as the prime suspect in the case.
At that time, Hsu was serving a jail sentence in a military prison for the rape and murder of young girls in Taichung in 1997, cases which reportedly had many similarities to the 1996 case at Air Force Command Headquarters, where Hsu served concurrently with Chiang.
In December 2011, the Taipei District Court found Hsu guilty of the rape and murder of Hsieh, sentencing him to an 18-year prison term. The judgement cited bloody palm prints found at the scene of the crime and in a basement washroom, and confessions that Hsu made several times throughout the investigation.
In a subsequent appeal, the Taiwan High Court in April 2013 overturned Hsu’s conviction, citing insufficient evidence and inconsistencies between his confession and aspects of the case. It was further noted by the court that Hsu, who allegedly has a low mental capacity and cannot express himself well, could not have produced the confession that was written down by a military investigator.
The ruling also said that, while the bloody palm prints put Hsu at the scene of the crime, it was not sufficient evidence to prove that he had actually committed the crime.
In March last year, the Supreme Court also cited insufficient evidence in upholding the High Court’s ruling, a final decision that cannot be appealed.
The case remains unsolved.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as