The Tourism Bureau said that it is aiming to attract 200,000 Muslim tourists to the nation this year, adding that it is monitoring an outbreak of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) and how it is affecting tourism.
Bureau Director-General David Hsieh (謝謂君) said that the bureau has set the goal of having 10 million international tourists visit the nation this year and that Muslims are one market the bureau is looking at, including people from Southeast Asian nations and the Middle East, he said.
To create a Muslim-friendly travel experience, Hsieh said that the bureau has begun to issue certifications for halal restaurants.
He said that the nation has 70 restaurants and three central kitchen operations that have been certified as offering halal food, including those at hotels and theme parks.
Meanwhile, Hsieh said that the bureau has 13 national scenic areas under its administration and each one has been equipped with a prayer room and a washing facility for Muslim tourists.
Minister of Transportation and Communications Chen Jian-yu (陳建宇) has also requested that similar facilities be made available at freeway rest areas, as well as railway stations, Hsieh said, adding that the prayer room at Taipei Railway Station has been frequently used by Muslim visitors since it was opened at the beginning of this year.
Because of the availability of these facilities, Hsieh said that Taiwan has been ranked 10th in terms of a Muslim-friendly environment among non-Muslim countries.
He also said that the nation had succeeded in drawing approximately 180,000 Muslim tourists last year, marking a growth of 12.5 percent compared with 2013.
The bureau is striving to raise the number of Muslim tourists by 10 percent this year compared with last year, while hoping to reach 200,000, Hsieh said.
So far most of the Muslim tourists have come from Malaysia and Indonesia, he said.
With new flight services to Taiwan offered by Emirates and Turkish Airlines, he said that there are now more tourists visiting from the Middle East.
Hsieh also said that the bureau is aware that three patients have been diagnosed with MERS-CoV in South Korea, including one had recently returned from a trip to the Middle East.
The bureau said that it would ask travel agencies to ensure that tourists maintain good standards of hygiene and practice self health management to prevent the spread of the disease to Taiwan.
MERS-CoV has been found in 24 countries, but most of the cases have been in Middle East.
The Centers for Disease Control yesterday warned of a growing threat from MERS-CoV because fo the cases in South Korea.
The CDC said people planning to travel to affected areas should pay greater attention to personal hygiene and hand cleanliness.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as