China’s plan to purchase Russia’s new S-400 anti-aircraft missile defense system is expected to put Taiwan in greater jeopardy in the case of a Chinese invasion, as the system would likely increase Beijing’s ability to control the skies over the nation and over the Taiwan Strait.
However, Russia’s S-400 system is not enough to stop the US from coming to Taiwan’s aid — if Washington makes that decision — and the US already has classified countermeasures for dealing with it, Global Security think tank director John Pike said.
Russian state weapons export agency Rosoboronexport announced the US$3 billion sale last week.
Defense News reports that the system, with an estimated range of 400km, would allow China to strike any aerial target over Taiwan.
“The S-400 will challenge Taiwan’s ability to conduct air defense operations within its own air defense identification zone, which covers the Taiwan Strait,” Defense News said.
“There’s no doubt that Russia and China would like Taiwan to think this is very bad news,” Pike said.
However, he said that while the S-400 sale should be of “great concern” to Taiwan, it would not be decisive in an actual invasion.
Pike said that if the US decides to defend Taiwan, the S-400 system would not impact that decision and that he was confident the Pentagon could deal with the Russian-made system.
According to Defense News, China’s aging inventory of S-300s — with an estimated range of about 300km — allows it to strike targets only along Taiwan’s northwest coast.
Earlier this year, the Project 2049 Institute said the potential of an S-400 sale to China had “understandably caused something of a panic in Taiwan security circles.”
Research fellow Ian Easton wrote on the Project 2049 Web site that the S-400 threat “may not be as dire as forecast.”
Easton said: “Chinese air defenses are not invulnerable today, not will they be in the future.”
He said that in peacetime, if an S-400 air surveillance radar unit were switched on, it would be subject to immediate interception by Taiwanese signals intelligence units on Dongyin Island (東引), Matsu Island and the Penghu Islands.
It would also be detectable by US and Japanese signals intelligence units on Okinawa, submarines off the Chinese coast and crewed and automated aircraft patrolling in the East China Sea.
Once radar emissions are captured, countermeasures can be developed, Easton added.
China still would not have missile coverage over Taiwan’s air bases at most operational altitudes, and Taiwanese pilots could fly under the S-400’s radar sweep, Easton said.
Also, in case of a full-scale conflict, Chinese S-400 missiles would be susceptible to Taiwanese electronic jamming and cyberwarfare units, anti-radiation drones and cruise missiles.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty