The government is closely monitoring a flurry of construction work by rival claimant nations in South China Sea islands and reefs, National Security Bureau (NSB) Director-General Lee Shying-jow (李翔宙) said, although he disagreed with calls to bolster Taiwan’s military built-up in the disputed region.
Lee was asked about reports about Vietnam deploying heavy artillery guns and other enhanced military installations on the Spratly Islands (Nansha Islands, 南沙群島) by Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) at a session of the legislature’s Foreign Affairs and National Defense Committee yesterday.
“In the South China Sea, for any country undertaking efforts to strengthen their defense and to project a stronger military presence, it is not a good thing for the stability of that region,” the bureau head said.
According to Lin, Vietnam has been active in the area, undertaking construction and installing heavy artillery weapons on Sandy Cay (Duncian Shajou, 敦謙沙洲) and Namyit Island (Hongsiou Island, 鴻庥島).
Lin said that Sandy Cay lies just 6 nautical miles (11.11km) from Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島), which is Taiwan’s largest territory in the South China Sea.
Lin urged the government to renew construction on extending the airstrip on Itu Aba Island to accommodate C-130 military transport aircraft.
“The runway extension will enable us to conduct marine rescue operations and disaster relief missions,” Lin said.
“When carried out, these can reduce tension in the region and can help to enhance Taiwan’s good image in the international community,” Lin added.
However, Lee backed away from endorsing plans to continue the runway extension work.
“Besides competition, we should consider cooperation in the international arena,” Lee said.
“If we boost our military installation on Taiping Island, it might harm the nation’s situation in the region,” Lee said.
“It is also not conducive to regional stability in the South China Sea,” Lee added.
Regarding Vietnam’s new military facilities and construction work on the Spratly Islands, Lee said the bureau is aware of the situation and has it under close monitoring.
Taiwan’s intelligence agency and armed forces are also closely following stepped-up construction and land reclamation activities by China in the region, including on Fiery Cross Reef (Yongshu Reef, 永暑礁), Johnson South Reef (Chigua Reef, 赤瓜礁), Hughes Reef (Dongmen Reef, 東門礁), Cuarteron Reef (Huayang Reef, 華陽礁) and Gaven Reef (Nansyun Reef, 南薰礁).
Meanwhile, Lee confirmed that the Democratic Progressive Party’s (DPP) official Web site had been shut down on Tuesday due to a series of DDoS (distributed denial of service) attacks from outside Taiwan.
Although Lee would not give more details, DPP legislators said the 100,000 hostile attacks within a five-minute period came from bases in China.
DPP officials said they have reported the hacking attacks to the police and urged authorities to find ways to protect the nation’s digital networking security.
During the committee session yesterday, the NSB head said that the agency would establish a cybersecurity department in May and would staff the unit with professionals from the private sector.
The new department would comprise four divisions staffed by people who are trained to fight cybercrime, Lee said, adding that they would not be hackers.
Certain amendments to the nation’s information and communications regulations would be required to recruit cybersecurity and computer network experts from the private sector, Lee said.
The bureau would also seek to facilitate exchange programs with foreign cybersecurity communities to upgrade the skills of the unit’s staff, he said.
Additional reporting by CNA
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as