Leading Sunflower movement figures and opposition legislators yesterday voiced their anger over the police crackdown during the occupation of the Executive Yuan in Taipei on the night of March 23 to the early hours of March 24 last year, saying that many of the victims seeking justice have been left out in the cold.
At the Legislative Yuan’s plenary session yesterday, Taiwan Solidarity Union Legislator Chou Ni-an (周倪安) questioned Premier Mao Chi-kuo (毛治國) over the matter, accusing the government of turning a deaf ear to victims’ demands for justice to be served.
Chou, who sustained injuries during the incident on March 24 last year, said she was there to protect the students and experienced brutal treatment by the police.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
“After I was knocked to the ground, four riot police used their shields and boots to kick and hit me repeatedly,” she said.
“We know that videos from police cameras can be used to identify students and protesters, as the government was able to indict them,” Chou said. “Why can the same footage not single out any police officers who beat people so viciously?”
Chou called on the government to come clean on that night’s crackdown and “end the cover-up,” accusing authorities of destroying evidence to prevent the prosecution of police officers.
The occupation of the Executive Yuan, led by student Dennis Wei (魏揚) and others, was a spinoff of the Sunflower movement that occupied the Legislative Yuan’s main chamber from March 18 to April 10 to protest the government’s handling of the cross-strait service trade agreement.
On Monday evening, dozens of students and activists took part in a silent procession around the Executive Yuan compound to mark the one-year anniversary of the bloody police crackdown. Led by youth activist group Black Island National Youth Front, the crowd hung handkerchiefs with bloody hand prints on the barbed-wire barricades.
Wei, a member of the group, said the images of riot police carrying batons and marching in locked steps toward the sit-in crowd often came back to haunt him.
“I will never forget what happened that night, especially not my friends bleeding from being beaten by police as they held me and cried out in pain,” said Wei, who is one of 119 Sunflower movement protesters who have been indicted.
“Over the past year, neither former premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) nor former National Police Agency director-general Wang Cho-chiun (王卓鈞) have apologized for their roles in these acts of violence against the public,” he said.
He added that as the public commemorates the one-year anniversary of the Executive Yuan occupation, “we must point out these two as the main perpetrators of the violence and not, as government officials are doing now, blaming the protesters for their ‘irresponsible’ actions.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as