The Ministry of Economic Affairs came under fire after a draft free-trade agreement between South Korea and China was revealed on Wednesday, as the tariff reductions proposed in the pact were not as significant as the ministry previously claimed.
Critics said that the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) administration exaggerated the impact of the pending treaty to coerce the public into supporting trade agreements between Taiwan and China.
They said that the ministry used the Beijing-Seoul deal as a “scare tactic” in an attempt to swing the vote in the KMT’s favor during last year’s nine-in-one elections.
Photo: CNA
In November last year, the ministry said that the pending Beijing-Seoul pact would deal a NT$650 billion (US$20.7 billion) blow to Taiwan’s economy and urged the nation to ratify the proposed cross-strait service trade agreement to mitigate the impact.
A KMT campaign advertisement leading up to the elections last year featured a woman dressed in traditional Korean garb who thanked the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) for blocking cross-strait trade bills.
In contrast with the ministry’s earlier claims, Minister of Economic Affairs John Deng (鄧振中) on Wednesday said that the draft was “quite different” from the ministry’s previous expectations.
According to the Beijing-Seoul draft, tariffs for many industries considered key export industries for Taiwan will not be reduced significantly — including LCD panels, automobile parts, petrochemicals and machine tools.
Human rights lawyer and Economic Democracy Union convener Lai Chung-chiang (賴中強) yesterday said that the unveiled contents of the draft “shattered all sorts of exaggerated and unrealistic threats” by the KMT.
Lai said that the pending Beijing-Seoul agreement gradually lowers tariffs between the two nations over a buffer period of 20 years.
“Members of the public should not panic over the agreement,” Lai said.
Lai added that the transparent deliberation process of the pact could serve as an example for Taiwan, as both China and South Korea would be given another four months to conduct economic assessments of the draft before the treaty is ratified.
He said the “transparency mechanism” presented by the Beijing-Seoul treaty could serve as a lesson for the KMT administration in its interactions with China.
Tens of thousands of protesters took to the streets last year during the Sunflower movement, after a KMT legislator was perceived to ram through the proposed cross-strait service trade agreement while bypassing legislative deliberation.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as