The Ministry of Justice yesterday said that the attempted jailbreak by six Kaohsiung Prison inmates on Wednesday would not affect former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) medical parole.
“The incident and Chen’s medical parole are two separate cases and the former will not have any impact on the latter,” Vice Minister of Justice Chen Ming-tang (陳明堂) told a news conference in Taipei yesterday morning.
Chen Ming-tang was referring to the first of five appeals listed in a handwritten statement by Cheng Li-te (鄭立德), the purported ringleader of the six, who questioned the legitimacy of the former president being granted medical parole.
“If Chen Shui-bian was able to secure his release on medical parole by faking illness, how come other convicts with a lot more serious conditions are never granted the same treatment? Why? Is it because we are criminals and deserve to rot in jail? What about A-bian [Chen Shui-bian]? Is he not also a criminal?” Agency of Corrections Director Wu Shyan-chang (吳憲璋) said as he read from the statement in front of the prison on Wednesday night.
“As a former head of state and an experienced attorney, does A-bian know the law?” Wu read. “He deliberately broke the law, but how come he get to be hailed by [some of] you as a prisoner of conscious? If A-bian gets to be given medical parole, the same standards should be applied to everyone. Are we not all equal before the law?”
Chen Ming-tang said the agency pledged to apply the same evaluation standards to all applicants for medical parole when the ministry established a 15-member medical team to evaluate the former president’s latest request for medical parole in December last year.
“Every inmate is subjected to the same procedures and criteria in being considered for medical parole,” he added.
Ex-Convict Service Center director Tung Nien-tai (董念台) held a protest in front of the ministry before the former president was released in December, threatening to instigate prisoners to stage riots if the government granted A-bian’s release.
Chen Shui-bian’s son, Chen Chih-chung (陳致中), yesterday berated Cheng Li-te on Facebook for using his ailing father to justify violence.
“President Chen has been examined by the Taipei Veterans General Hospital and the Taichung Veterans General Hospital, which are public medical institutions, and both recommended medical parole,” Chen Chih-chung said. “The ministry’s 15-member medical team also unanimously concurred with those professional opinions.”
“The decision was clearly not made based on who my father is or used to be, but rather on doctors’ professional opinions and credibility,” he added.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) said the ministry announced six requirements for medical parole on Jan. 5 and that whoever meets the criteria is entitled to submit an application.
“However, not every qualified inmate will apply for medical parole, because they will have to shoulder their medical expenses during the parole period that would otherwise be paid by the prison if they are inside,” Ma said.
Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) repeated a call for clear guidelines to be established for the conditions under which prisoners are temporarily released to receive medical treatment.
“It is important that Taiwan establishes a clear standard,” Ko said. “Otherwise there will inevitably be complaints because of the excessive discretion in the hands of the governing authorities.”
Ko added that as the former convener of Chen Shui-bian’s medical team, he knew that he did require medical treatment.
Additional reporting by Abraham Gerber
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated