The Taipei City Government’s pending plans to encourage journalists to wear “press vests” during mass demonstrations has provoked resistance from foreign correspondents working in Taiwan, adding to a debate that has raged since early last month.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Taiwan Foreign Correspondents’ Club (TFCC) said the potential regulations — in which journalists are advised to wear readily identifiable press vests or face eviction along with protesters in areas being cleared by police — are unnecessary and would stifle the freedom of the press.
Despite earlier government announcements that said the press vests were meant to “protect” journalists during mass protests, the TFCC said that individual journalists and media organizations should bear full responsibility for their own safety, adding that the choice to self-identify or not also served as a means of protection.
The group said it would be “inappropriate” for the government to take on the burden of protecting journalists, since it was the duty of the media to report on the government’s actions.
Club president Jane Rickards, a correspondent for The Economist, told the Taipei Times that 17 journalists from foreign media organizations participated in a forum on Jan. 14 to discuss their stance on the issue, following a brief presentation by officials from the city government.
She said that the statement largely conveyed the consensus of the forum, as well as e-mails and online discussions among foreign correspondents, adding that the new regulations led to “quite some feelings” among members of the club since they were announced.
She added that it was important to protect Taiwan’s current freedom of the press and “amazing” democratic achievements.
The club’s statement is the latest opposition toward a new protocol suggested by Taipei City Police Department on Jan. 1, which was proposed in a bid to regulate the media during mass demonstrations — such as the Sunflower movement in March and April last year.
Several proposals in the new protocol drew mixed responses from local reporters, including a plan that advised reporters to stay in designated “press zones” during protests, where they would receive additional protection, or face the risk of eviction.
While Taipei Mayor Ko Wen-je (柯文哲) later said the police department’s plans for press zones were “stupid” and postponed them, his support for related plans for reporters to wear press vests was met with equal resistance.
Rickards said that she opposed both proposals, as they prevented journalists from conveying the full picture of a demonstration.
There was “a big difference” between readily showing one’s identification card to interviewees and being visible in the crowd, she said.
“A journalist’s job is to expose what is going on and shine light upon the action,” she said, adding that if journalists wear press vests, they would be easily spotted by “whoever is creating actions they do not want people to know about,” which might include anything from criminal activities to police brutality.
“With the [press] zones it’s the same thing, you’re going to miss out on a lot of the action, because you won’t have a bird’s eye view of the rally,” she said.
Taipei Police Department Deputy Commissioner and spokesman Chou Shou-sung (周壽松) told the Taipei Times yesterday that plans for press zones and press vests are still under discussion and that specific details would be announced only after a consensus was reached with the Association of Taiwan Journalists.
Additional reporting by Abraham Gerber
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as