Avian influenza has been confirmed on two farms in Pingtung County’s Wanluan Township (萬巒) and all 220,000 birds on the two farms will be killed today, the Council of Agriculture said yesterday.
An organic farm raising about 80,000 chickens for meat was hit by the highly pathogenic H5N8 bird flu strain, while samples from an egg farm tested positive for the H5 subtype, the council said.
Both farms are run by Dawushan Livestock Products Co, the same operator that reported the first case of H5N2 in Pingtung this year on Jan. 9.
Photo: CNA
In addition, the results of tests on the carcasses of three light-vented bulbuls (Pycnonotus sinensis) found near a slaughterhouse in Miaoli County’s Jhunan Township (竹南) last week showed the trio had the H5N3 strain — the fourth and most recently detected virus strain to be found in Taiwan during the current bird flu outbreak.
The Pingtung case was the second to be confirmed among chickens, after the newly discovered H5N2 strain was found on a broiler farm in Changhua County’s Shengang Township (伸港) on Sunday, while the bulbuls were the first birds known to be affected by the new bird flu strain.
The council yesterday ordered all slaughterhouses, poultry markets and farms nationwide to cease operations until Thursday so they could be thoroughly disinfected — including all vehicles and cages.
Photo: Chen Wei-jen, Taipei Times
Meanwhile, Environment and Animal Society of Taiwan (EAST) chief executive Wu Hung (朱增宏) said the council’s response was too slow, and that it should have suspended operations at such facilities after the first outbreak was reported almost three years ago on a layer chicken farm on Pingtung’s Dawushan (大武山).
A survey conducted by EAST found local authorities lack a standard culling method, Wu said, with some using chloral hydrate as an anesthetic before killing the fowl, while others kill the birds by freezing them with dry ice or suffocate them by stuffing them into bags.
The US of Department of Agriculture has banned the use of chloral hydrate during culls because it is a weak anesthetic, while freezing the animals with dry ice causes a painful death, Wu said.
Council of Agriculture Minister Chen Bao-ji (陳保基) said the council would reassess the culling methods used by local agencies and adjust them if necessary.
Despite the increasing number of bird flu outbreaks among chickens, Animal Husbandry Department division head Chiang Wen-chuan (江文全) said the impact on the nation’s poultry flocks has been limited, with about 410,000 chickens affected, or about 0.5 percent of the nation’s annual supply.
He said that geese have borne the brunt of the outbreaks, with about 416,000, or 30 percent of the nation’s total, culled as of yesterday morning.
The council’s latest statistics show that of the 274 facilities sampled so far, 239 tested positive for avian flu strains and culls have been conducted at 130, putting the total number of poultry affected by the outbreaks at about 528,000.
In related news, Yunlin County Agriculture Department Director-General Chang Shih-chung (張世忠) told a news conference in Taipei that his agency is desperately short of workers, as it receives more than 20 reports of possible infections per day and about 60 percent of the total number of geese in the region are on the council’s watch list.
The avian flu outbreak has swamped the three rendering sites in the county, which reached their capacity several days ago, Shih said.
Duck Association Taiwan deputy director-general Lin Chin-fa (林金發) said that 90 percent of his geese had died and it looks as if the rest will die soon.
Chen said the current outbreak is the largest in the nation’s history, and that the government would ease its compensation rules for farmers affected by the epidemic.
It will be at least three months before farms hit by the bird flu outbreak can resume operations, Chen said.
He also said local authorities would act swiftly to inspect goslings and urged members of the Goose Association Taiwan to help.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as