Several medical and human rights groups yesterday urged the government to reject a proposal by former Chinese deputy minister of health Huang Jiefu (黃潔夫) to establish a mechanism to facilitate organ donations from China to Taiwan, which they said could make the country an accomplice to allegedly rampant unethical organ retrieval practices in China.
“China has long been notorious for its alleged harvesting of organs from unidentified sources, in which human rights might have been violated,” Covenants and Conventions Watch convener Huang Song-lih (黃嵩立) told a press conference in Taipei.
He said that support for the proposed plan by Presidential Office senior adviser Steve Chan (詹啟賢) and Taipei mayor-elect Ko Wen-je’s (柯文哲) failure to bring up the controversial organ retrieval issue during his recent meeting with Huang Jiefu would only facilitate “the doings of evil” and should be denounced.
Photo: CNA
Huang Jiefu, who now heads the National Organ Transplantation Committee at China’s National Health and Family Planning Commission, visited Taiwan last week. He proposed the idea to set up a platform to legally transport organs from China when he visited Kaohsiung Chang Gung Memorial Hospital on Friday last week, saying the mechanism would spare Taiwanese the trouble of seeking organs for transplant in China via under-the-table channels.
Huang Song-lih said that over the past 14 years, nearly 3,700 Taiwanese risked their health and put away their conscience to receive organ transplants in China without knowing the source of the donor organs.
“According to Huang Jiefu, China saw a record-high 1,500 organ donors this year, but there are more than 300,000 Chinese citizens on the organ waiting list. Given the circumstances, how can China possibly provide organs to Taiwanese patients? Where will these organs come from?” he said.
A Chinese newspaper quoted Huang Jiefu as having said earlier this month that if death-row prisoners voluntarily gave consent for organ donation, their organs would be deemed as being donated by a “citizen” rather than harvested from an executed inmate, Huang Song-lih said.
“Such a remark proves that Beijing’s oft-trumpeted cessation of transplanting organs taken from executed prisoners starting on Jan. 1 in response to human rights concerns is nothing but a lie,” he said.
“Since the Chinese government has sentenced not only murderers to death, but also political prisoners and prisoners of conscience, agreeing to receive organs from such sources is no different from ‘lending China a knife to kill innocent men,’” he added.
Taiwan Association for International Care of Organ Transplants deputy director-general Huang Shi-wei (黃士維) said transparency and traceability are the two basic requirements for organ donation and transplant.
“If China is really serious about improving its organ donation system, it should start by releasing a list detailing the exact numbers of organ transplant surgeries carried by its 600 hospitals between 2000 and this year, and how many of the death-row inmates it executed during the same period had their organs retrieved,” he said.
“If it fails to do so, how can anyone believe that the organs harvested two weeks later there will be obtained in an ethical manner and that its reform pledge is not just a cover for its immoral organ harvesting?” he asked.
The groups also issued four demands: that the medical community issue a statement dismissing the proposal and refrain from transferring patients to China; that the government revises the Human Organ Transplantation Act (人體器官移植條例) to achieve national self-sufficiency in organ donation and transplantation; that China uphold human rights and stop removing organs from living death-row prisoners; and that all sectors in Taiwan adhere to human right standards and ethical codes.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as