Construction for Taipei’s new Wanda (萬大) MRT line is to take four times longer than other MRT lines, Taipei’s Department of Rapid Transit Systems (DORTS) said yesterday.
The department said it estimated that the Wanda line would take eight years to construct, compared with two years for a typical MRT line.
Plans approved by the Executive Yuan envision a line running through Taipei’s Wanhua District (萬華) and looping through several districts of New Taipei City to link with the Huilong (迴龍) terminal station of the Zhonghe-Xinzhuang-Luzhou Orange Line.
Photo: Liu Hsin-de, Taipei Times
A second ground-breaking ceremony for the line was held in Taipei yesterday, following a ceremony in New Taipei City last month.
Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺) said at the event that the Wanda line’s aim was different from previous lines, which focused on providing more convenient transportation to business districts.
“The Wanda line will run deeply into less developed districts,” Jiang said.
“The fact that it will bring economic development to the area around each station is even more important than its ability to provide a clean and efficient form of transportation,” he said.
Despite the project’s importance, it has been plagued with difficulties since its inception more than nine years ago, Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) said, adding that the dense population along the line’s route creates numerous engineering challenges.
The department said that the narrow roads under which the line would be constructed drastically reduce the availability of above-ground construction space, forcing the department to use painstaking tunneling methods for most of the line’s length.
Besides creating engineering difficulties, the narrow roads would also strictly limit the line’s size, with its final capacity significantly lower than most of Taipei’s current MRT lines, it added.
The line would feature the smallest station in the city’s MRT system, to avoid unnecessary impact on an important archaeological site near the Taipei Botanical Garden, the department said, adding that completing archaeological excavations during construction would further slow the line’s progress.
Liu Yi-chang (劉益昌), a professor of history and philology at Academia Sinica, said the ancient Aboriginal village through which the line would pass is one of the most significant archeological sites in Taipei.
Due to the village’s 4,000 years of history, different layers of cultural artifacts are found as deep as 6m, he said.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as