Taiwan’s first locally designed stealth missile corvette, the 500-tonne Tuo Jiang (沱江, Tuo River), began sea trials of its propulsion system yesterday.
The ship was towed from the Lung Teh Shipbuidling Co at the port of Nanfangao (南方澳) in Yilan County and sailed to waters south of Turtle Island (龜山島).
Despite heavy seas off the port of Suao Township (蘇澳), the twin-hulled design of the corvette enabled it to maintain high-speed navigation.
The navy said the tests checked whether the engine can meet the requirements of traveling at high and low speeds.
The vessel was scheduled to dock at Suao military port.
Assembly and testing of its Hsiung Feng II and Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missiles are to be carried out before the navy puts the vessel through nine months of tactical testing.
The armaments of the vessel, which is described as an “aircraft carrier-killer” by media outlets, include eight Hsiung Feng II and eight Hsiung Feng III anti-ship missiles, an Otobreda 76mm gun, 12.7mm machine guns and a MK15 Phalanx close-in weapons system.
Construction of the vessel began in November 2012 and it was christened in March.
It has a top speed of about 70kph and a range of 2,000 nautical miles (3,704km). It is 60.4m long and 14m wide, and carries a crew of 41.
The navy said the ship, with its high mobility, strong firepower and stealth features, will enhance national defense.
The navy plans to commission between eight and 12 of the corvettes if funding can be obtained.
Each costs about NT$2.2 billion (US$72.39 million).
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lin Yu-fang (林郁方) said earlier that the navy relies mainly on larger ships, such as its Keelung-class destroyers, but those nearly 10,000-tonne ships move relatively slowly and can be obvious targets at sea.
He said that the combat area in the Taiwan Strait is not large and does not need high-tonnage warships, hence the idea behind developing the corvette.
The Navy’s 20 Guanghua VI-class fast attack missile boats currently in service will serve during a transition toward smaller ships.
The Guanghua VI-class boat has a displacement of 186.5 tonnes and a maximum draft of 3m, while the Tuo Chiang displaces 500 tonnes with a maximum draft of 2.3m, allowing it to move in and out of small harbors. Lin touted that aspect, saying the corvette could be hidden among fishing boats.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as