Peng Hsiu-chun (彭秀春), widow of Chang Sen-wen (張森文) who owned the Chang Pharmacy that was torn down in the Dapu Incident (大埔), yesterday expressed her determination to stay by her ruined home and fulfill her late husband’s wish of seeing their home rebuilt.
The Dapu Incident refers to the Miaoli County Government’s seizure of farmland in the county’s Jhunan Township (竹南) to expand the Hsinchu Science Park, when it blocked roads and sent excavators onto farms that were awaiting harvest and forcibly demolished four family houses in Dapu Borough (大埔) last year.
Yesterday was the first anniversary of Chang’s death. He was found dead in an irrigation channel near where his house used to stand, one month after the land was expropriated and torn down.
Photo: Cheng Hung-ta, Taipei Times
Although the evictions of the Changs and three other families were deemed unlawful by the court, the county government and the Ministry of the Interior has refused to return the land and rebuild the houses as the families requested.
“Miaoli County Commissioner Liu Cheng-hung (劉政鴻) had threatened us by saying: ‘There would be no road for even a scooter to pass through,’ and later forcibly demolished the building. They told us they were expropriating our land for the betterment of the people, but the rising buildings on the land expropriated for that exact reason stand witness to the great lie of the Miaoli County Government,” Peng said. “That the common people would be subjected to such despotic acts reveals problems with the nation. This is an example of the tyranny of government — an act that happened because we had no political background.”
Peng said she wanted to thank all the people who had stood by her family during the incident, adding that though she did not recognize many, they had given her the courage to carry on.
“We will stand by my husband’s wishes and see to it our home is rebuilt, right here on our own land,” she said.
Democratic Progressive Party spokesperson Lin Chun-hsien (林俊憲) accused the government of doing nothing to compensate the Changs.
“Returning the land and rebuilding the houses” is not a mercy from the government, rather, it is a responsibility that the government should take up for its policy mistakes, Lin said, urging the government to respond to the families’ requests, compensate them, and rebuild their homes.
To stop further disputes due to land expropriation, the party would restart its campaign to amend the Land Expropriation Act (土地徵收條例), Lin added.
Additional reporting by Chen Hui-ping
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as