The presence of Chinese National Institute for South China Sea Studies president Wu Shicun (吳士存) at the Exhibition on the Republic of China’s (ROC) Historical Data for the Southern Territories early this week has drawn concern among Taiwanese academics, who said it might have given Beijing the opportunity to gather information that it can use to justify its claims of sovereignty in the South China Sea when it presents its case before the International Court of Justice in The Hague, Netherlands, later this year.
China has been involved in a series of sovereignty conflicts over islands in the South China Sea, notably with Vietnam and the Philippines. Manila has responded by filing a complaint with the International Court for Arbitration, providing the court with more than 4,000 pages of evidence and analyses to counter Beijing’s claims.
Taiwan also lays claim to some of the islands, including the Pratas Islands (Dongsha Islands, 東沙群島) and the Itu Aba Island (Taiping Island, 太平島), the largest island in the Spratly Islands.
Explaining Taiwan’s claim, Taiwan Society of International Law deputy secretary-general Lin Ting-hui (林廷輝) said that the international community has long expressed an interest in how the “U-shaped” theory came into being.
The “U-shaped” theory refers to the ROC’s formal claim of sovereign territory in the South China Sea post-World War II, in accordance with agreements made in the Cairo Declaration of Nov. 27, 1943, and the Potsdam Declaration of July 26, 1945.
Several US thinktanks have urged Taiwan — ie, the ROC — to publish studies and proofs on how the lines were established and what their status in terms of international law are, Lin said.
While China holds data dating from the Ming and Qing dynasties, it lacks data from the period when the ROC was in control of China, Lin said.
These data are what support Taiwan’s claims in the South China Sea, and they should not be used to back up Chinese claims in the area, Lin said.
If the Chinese were able to gain any information from the exhibit to help defend their stance in December, it would work greatly to their benefit, Lin said.
Lin said he was puzzled why Vietnam and the Philippines did not send representatives when the exhibit opened on Monday, adding that all three countries should have sent representatives, or none at all.
Wu should not have been the only one to show up at the exhibit, Lin said.
He added that Taiwan should avoid the “one China” framework and avoid citing the “U-shaped” theory any more as it would give historical credence to China, as Beijing is viewed as the sole legal representative of China in the international community following UN Resolution 2758.
Taiwan should exert its sovereignty claim over the Pratas Islands and Itu Aba Island, Lin said, adding that the territories fall under the jurisdiction of Greater Kaohsiung.
Only then can Taiwan further its claims in accordance with International Maritime Law and avoid the “one China” framework, Lin said.
Wu arrived in Taiwan on Saturday last week, leading a delegation of researchers attending a closed-door conference on recent developments in the South China Sea and its impact on regional security and cross-strait relations.
The conference was hosted by National Chengchi University and National Taiwan Normal University.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as