The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday said President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) should report to Taipei prosecutors and explain the charges his administration has brought against former Mainland Affairs Council deputy minister Chang Hsieh-yao (張顯耀).
Prosecutors should also subpoena Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺), National Security Council Secretary-General King Pu-tsung (金溥聰) and Mainland Affairs Council Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦), the DPP said.
Chang is under investigation by Taipei prosecutors for allegedly leaking to China state secrets related to cross-strait negotiations.
Chang has repeatedly denied the accusations, saying he was just a “chess piece” at the mercy of his “superiors.”
Effective measures should be put in place to prevent collusion between Ma, Jiang, King and Wang, who are all Chang’s superiors, DPP spokesperson Huang Di-ying (黃帝穎) said.
Ma is obliged to appear before prosecutors over the case not only because he was Chang’s superior, but because he received a letter from Chang — as confirmed by the Presidential Office last week — containing information relating to allegations that Chang had leaked state secrets, Huang said.
The spate of media reports quoting unnamed sources at the Mainland Affairs Council, the Ministry of Justice’s Investigation Bureau and the National Security Council may have encouraged collusion among the suspects, as well as the suppression and destruction of evidence to hinder the investigation, he said.
Huang urged prosecutors to apply compulsory measures to preserve evidence, including search, seizure and interrogation of suspects, including Ma.
In response, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) spokesperson Charles Chen (陳以信) said the DPP should refrain from trying to interfere with a judicial investigation.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as