More than 100 former Hualon Corp employees, along with about a dozen rights activists, clashed with police yesterday as they tried to force their way into the Ministry of Labor building in Taipei, demanding that the ministry live up to its promise to fight for payment of their pension.
“If [ministry] officials are not willing to come out to see us, then let’s go inside and pay them a visit,” said the protesters, who have been demonstrating outside the ministry’s offices since Thursday afternoon.
At the command of leader Lee Tsuei-ming (李翠明), the demonstrators rushed forward, trying to break the human wall formed by the police.
Photo: Loa Iok-sin, Taipei Times
“Don’t hide in there. Come out and talk to us,” some in the crowd shouted.
Others said: “Don’t forget what you promised us,” “Keep your word,” and “Give us our money back,” as they pushed and shoved against the officers.
According to the group, there are more than 300 former Hualon employees who have worked for the company for decades and are entitled to an average retirement payout of NT$1 million (US$33,000) each. However, they have not been paid as their employer declared bankruptcy.
The organization said the government was at fault for failing to monitor Hualon to see if it had complied with the Labor Standards Act (勞動基準法) requiring companies to keep a fund for retirement payouts. It said the government did not realize the group had no such fund until it declared bankruptcy.
While Hualon’s properties have been put to auction, little of the money will go to former employees as banks have priority claim among its long list of creditors.
“The last piece of Hualon property, its factory in Dayuan Township (大園), Taoyuan County, will soon be auctioned and could sell for about NT$2.4 billion,” Lee told reporters. “However, according to a complicated calculation based on legal provisions, each of us [former workers] would only receive 0.0029 percent of what we are owed, which is about NT$2,900.”
Lin Tsuei-ai (林翠藹), another retired Hualon employee, said that during previous negotiations, ministry officials promised that they would help the workers if they could find more money from Hualon.
“Now that we have found it, why is the ministry ignoring us?” she asked. “Last month, ministry officials also promised that they would treat our case as a special one, but now the last piece of Hualon property is going to be sold. Why aren’t officials doing anything to help use?”
The protesters have been asking to meet with ministry officials since 4pm on Thursday.
Lin Huan-chih (林煥智), a sophomore at Chang Jung Christian University, said that he was there to represent his father, who is also a retired Hualon employee.
“It’s Father’s Day today. My father could have enjoyed the day, but he could not, because he has to work today. That is why I am here on his behalf,” Lin said. “He is now working as a janitor after retiring from Hualon, because he did not get a penny of his pension after working for more than 20 years at [Hualon].”
Having failed to meet with ministry officials, the protesters vowed to take harsher action later this month.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as