While the destruction caused by the series of gas explosions left Greater Kaohsiung streets looking much like a war zone, battle scenes extended to hospital emergency rooms around the city.
The Greater Kaohsiung Government launched its mass casualty response program early yesterday morning, preparing hospitals for the wounded making their way in and for those who were going from one hospital to another, looking for family members.
According to the Ministry of Health and Welfare, the casualties were sent to more than 20 hospitals, including Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital, Veterans’ General Hospital, Chang Gung Memorial Hospital, Yuan’s General Hospital, the Armed Forces General Hospital and Kaohsiung Municipal United Hospitals.
Photo: Lo Hsin-chen, Taipei Times
Most of the injured suffered cuts and burns, the ministry said.
Meanwhile, people were tearful and emotional as they identified their loved ones at the Kaohsiung Municipal Funeral Parlor, some of them venting their anger at officials on the scene, criticizing the government for not doing enough in the rescue effort.
The mother of a victim surnamed Yang (楊) arrived at the funeral parlor with her two sons, and was so overcome by grief she could not stand on her own. She said her daughter ran into an explosion on her way home from work and died instantly.
A man surnamed Hung (洪) mourned his brother-in-law’s wife, who was killed by an explosion on her way home, saying that “this would not have happened to her if she got off work earlier.”
Many people who arrived quickly at the funeral parlor after being notified of their family members’ deaths had to wait hours before seeing the bodies of their loved ones.
Greater Kaohsiung Government Mortuary Services Office Director-General Cheng Ming-hsing (鄭明興) became the target of criticism when he arrived.
Many victims’ families complained that the government did not put enough resources into the rescue effort.
One man, in tears, said a member of his family had been pinned under a big rock, and it took him several hours to remove the rock on his own with his bare hands, with no help from rescuers or officials.
“Who could bring my family back alive?” he shouted.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
A magnitude 4.9 earthquake struck off Tainan at 11:47am today, the Central Weather Administration (CWA) said. The hypocenter was 32.3km northeast of Tainan City Hall at a depth of 7.3km, CWA data showed. The intensity of the quake, which gauges the actual effect of a seismic event, measured 4 in Tainan and Chiayi County on Taiwan's seven-tier intensity scale, the data showed. The quake had an intensity of 3 in Chiayi City and County, and Yunlin County, while it was measured as 2 in Kaohsiung, Nantou County, Changhua County, Taitung County and offshore Penghu County, the data showed. There were no immediate reports of