Legislators and environmental conservation groups yesterday called on Taiwan Power Co (Taipower) and the Ministry of Economic Affairs to hold an administrative hearing to allow for broader civic participation in issues surrounding the sealing of the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮), which could cost up to NT$2 billion (US$66.4 million) a year in maintenance.
Wild at Heart Legal Defense Association attorney Tsai Ya-ying (蔡雅瀅) told a press conference in Taipei that an administrative hearing would call for both advocates and detractors of the issue to provide documented evidence in the debating process.
“The result would be a substantial debate, rather than both sides feuding with each other,” she said, adding that it would be an effective way for Taipower to explore new ideas in its policymaking.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Chen Ou-po (陳歐珀) said a Taipower draft detailing the plan to shutter the plant has yet to be delivered to the legislature for deliberation since the Executive Yuan issued an order on April 27 to seal the plant.
He said that he and other legislators were refused a copy of the draft from Taipower and the ministry, which he criticized as violating the legislators’ right to monitor government policies.
Quoting Minister of Economic Affairs Chang Chia-juch (張家祝), who said in May that the estimated maintenance fees for the shuttered nuclear plant stood at approximately NT$2 billion annually, Green Citizens’ Action Alliance secretary-general Tsuei Su-hsin (崔愫欣) called into question the real purpose of the money, saying that she suspects the government is planning to use it to complete the construction of the heavily criticized No. 1 reactor.
Citing an announcement issued by the Executive Yuan in April, which stated that no additional money would go into the budget for the Gongliao plant before its future is determined by a plebiscite, she urged Taipower and the ministry to provide the public with a comprehensive report specifying how they plan to spend the proposed NT$2 billion and how the plant would be sealed as soon as possible.
DPP Legislator Tien Chiu-chin (田秋堇) criticized the plan to shutter the plant as “unnecessary,” as it would only waste more taxpayers’ money.
She said that Taipower is on the verge of bankruptcy and has submitted a request to the ministry to either allocate a budget for the plan, or impose what she called a “shutter tax,” which would result in all Taiwanese paying for the plan.
The draft, which is to be delivered to the Executive Yuan for approval before being deliberated on by the legislature, was returned to Taipower by Chang earlier this month, who told the company that certain details “need adjustments.”
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
A wild live dugong was found in Taiwan for the first time in 88 years, after it was accidentally caught by a fisher’s net on Tuesday in Yilan County’s Fenniaolin (粉鳥林). This is the first sighting of the species in Taiwan since 1937, having already been considered “extinct” in the country and considered as “vulnerable” by the International Union for Conservation of Nature. A fisher surnamed Chen (陳) went to Fenniaolin to collect the fish in his netting, but instead caught a 3m long, 500kg dugong. The fisher released the animal back into the wild, not realizing it was an endangered species at
The High Prosecutors’ Office yesterday withdrew an appeal against the acquittal of a former bank manager 22 years after his death, marking Taiwan’s first instance of prosecutors rendering posthumous justice to a wrongfully convicted defendant. Chu Ching-en (諸慶恩) — formerly a manager at the Taipei branch of BNP Paribas — was in 1999 accused by Weng Mao-chung (翁茂鍾), then-president of Chia Her Industrial Co, of forging a request for a fixed deposit of US$10 million by I-Hwa Industrial Co, a subsidiary of Chia Her, which was used as collateral. Chu was ruled not guilty in the first trial, but was found guilty
DEADLOCK: As the commission is unable to forum a quorum to review license renewal applications, the channel operators are not at fault and can air past their license date The National Communications Commission (NCC) yesterday said that the Public Television Service (PTS) and 36 other television and radio broadcasters could continue airing, despite the commission’s inability to meet a quorum to review their license renewal applications. The licenses of PTS and the other channels are set to expire between this month and June. The National Communications Commission Organization Act (國家通訊傳播委員會組織法) stipulates that the commission must meet the mandated quorum of four to hold a valid meeting. The seven-member commission currently has only three commissioners. “We have informed the channel operators of the progress we have made in reviewing their license renewal applications, and