The Ministry of National Defense (MND) has said that a live-fire drill conducted at a missile base in southern Taiwan on June 27 did not go entirely according to plan and that local fishermen protested against the exercises.
Video footage of the drill was only released online on Friday, because the ministry had imposed a media ban on coverage of the event and only permitted the armed forces’ own news agencies to cover the live-fire tests at the Jioupeng Military Base (九鵬基地) in Pingtung County.
According to reports by the Chinese-language Apple Daily, a military source said a US-made Harpoon anti-ship missile and a land-based Hsiung Feng II (“Brave Wind” II) anti-ship missile failed to hit their targets and plunged into the sea.
It is said to be the first time that Taiwan’s two main anti-ship missile systems failed in the same instance during a live-fire drill, according to the Apple Daily.
Developed by McDonnell Douglas, the Harpoon missile packs a 221kg warhead that can take out a destroyer and has an operational range of more than 124km, which makes it a key component of the nation’s air and sea defenses due to its destructive power.
The Hsiung Feng II missile was developed by the military-affiliated Chungshan Institute of Science and Technology and can be deployed at land-based facilities or aboard ships.
The ministry released a statement on Monday in which it countered some of the claims made in the Apple Daily report, but did admit the failure of the Harpoon anti-ship missile on June 27.
It said that “a navy special project unit is conducting an investigation to determine the cause” of the failure.
The statement said the Hsiung Feng II was fired from a mobile missile launcher and it hit its intended target, in contradiction to the Apple Daily report.
It added that the live-fire drill involved all of the Republic of China’s armed forces and was a big success, because most of the other weapons systems tested, including eight Mark 82 (Mk82) bombs, had successfully reached their target zones.
However, some media organizations and netizens criticized the ministry for restricting news coverage of the drill, because the video footage released was edited, and was merely praising the virtues and trumpeting the success of the drill, without appraising it.
The ministry said that the media ban was instated because live-fire drills at the Jioupeng base had met increasingly vigorous protests by local fishermen and residents.
During the last two weeks of last month, fishermen in the Hengchung area in the vicinity of the Jioupeng base carried out several rounds of protests against military drills there.
Chung Yu-fang (鍾玉芳), secretary-general of the Hengchun Fishermen’s Association, said the munitions testing and drills have destroyed much of the natural marine habitats and fishing grounds.
“We have complained so many times over the years, but the military only said they heard our voice and did not change anything. Depletion of fish stocks and the marine habitat is very serious, so we will step up our protests this year,” Chung said.
On June 18, about 100 fishermen in more than 30 boats of various sizes positioned themselves in an offshore target zone close to the base to carry out a “naval blockade,” which prevented a scheduled live-fire drill from taking place that day.
An official in the ministry said the media’s presence would exacerbate the protests and it is doing its best to negotiate with the fishermen.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as