New Taipei City Mayor Eric Chu (朱立倫) and Greater Taichung Mayor Jason Hu (胡志強) separately yesterday urged the Ministry of Education to make the changes to the new 12-year national compulsory education system as junior-high school students who attended the first Comprehensive Assessment Program were bogged down with anxiety after they submitted their school preference forms.
Both mayors are Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) members.
“This assessment program has put many parents and students through hell. It is supposed to reduce academic pressure on young students and alleviate parents’ worries, yet it ended up galvanizing far too many grievances and complaints,” Chu said during a meeting of the New Taipei City Council.
“More problems may ensue after the admission results are announced on June 20,” Chu said, calling on academics involved in the policymaking for the new system to conduct a thorough review.
Chu made the remarks hours before the deadline for submitting the school preference forms, which had been the main cause of unease among program participants and their parents over the past few weeks.
The most controversial part of the new education system, which is set to take effect in August, is the ranking system schools must adhere to when the numbers of students expecting to study in the schools exceed their enrollment quotas.
Under the ranking system, students will be evaluated based on their learning performance in different fields, their scores on the Comprehensive Assessment Program and how high the schools are placed on their lists of school choices.
Each section is worth 30 points and the students’ chance of admission are directly linked to the total score they receive.
For example, if students meet the enrollment qualifications for their first choice of school, they will get 30 points on the “school preference section;” if they are only eligible to enter their second choice, they will lose one point on that section, which could see students with high entrance exam scores ending up in a lower-ranked school.
Meanwhile, Hu said if an educational reform only causes pain, changes must be made.
“What kind of reform only brings more pains to young students and their parents?” Hu asked.
Hu added that the ministry had ignored his repeated calls for it to announce the number of students in each grade level to make the task of filling school preference forms easier.
Greater Taichung City Councilor Hsieh Chih-chung (謝志忠), whose son also attended this year’s Comprehensive Assessment Program, said the ranking system was so complex that he and his son had no choice but to ask for the advice of deities.
Hsieh also cited eight major problems of the entrance exam listed by the Alliance on Obligatory Education, including lack of information, puzzling rating system, insufficient time allowed for students to fill their school preference cards and a poorly designed grading system that categorizes test results into only three different levels.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as