First lady Chow Mei-ching (周美青) may visit Fukushima during a trip to Japan next month to preside over the opening of the Tokyo exhibition of National Palace Museum artifacts, a Ministry of Foreign Affairs source said yesterday.
A ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity, confirmed a Storm Media Group report that the trip to Fukushima is still being arranged and not yet finalized.
Under a cultural exchange program signed between Taiwan and Japan last year, the National Palace Museum is putting 231 pieces on display at an exhibition at the Tokyo National Museum, followed by a similar exhibition at the Kyushu National Museum.
The two Japanese museums are to loan 150 artworks to the Taipei-based museum for an exhibition in October 2016.
Chow’s trip to Japan to inaugurate the exhibition will be in the same vein as the visit to Germany by former first lady Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) when the museum loaned its treasures for an exhibition in Berlin in 2003, the official said.
When Chow is in Japan, she might visit Fukushima — where hundreds of thousands of people continue to be affected by the nuclear accident at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant after an earthquake and tsunami devastated the region in March 2011 — to express her support for its recovery, the official said.
The reason the Presidential Office is planning the visit by Chow to Fukushima is to highlight the government’s commitment to ensuring the safety of the nation’s nuclear power plants at a time when the Fourth Nuclear Power Plant in New Taipei City’s Gongliao District (貢寮) has been plagued by widespread doubts over its safety, in addition to getting an understanding of how Taiwanese have assisted with the post-disaster recovery in Fukushima, Storm Media Group reported, without naming a source.
However, Ministry of Foreign Affairs spokesperson Anna Kao (高安) denied that, saying the trip to Japan would not have anything to do with the nuclear safety issue.
The Presidential Office had not commented on the report as of press time.
‘DENIAL DEFENSE’: The US would increase its military presence with uncrewed ships, and submarines, while boosting defense in the Indo-Pacific, a Pete Hegseth memo said The US is reorienting its military strategy to focus primarily on deterring a potential Chinese invasion of Taiwan, a memo signed by US Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth showed. The memo also called on Taiwan to increase its defense spending. The document, known as the “Interim National Defense Strategic Guidance,” was distributed this month and detailed the national defense plans of US President Donald Trump’s administration, an article in the Washington Post said on Saturday. It outlines how the US can prepare for a potential war with China and defend itself from threats in the “near abroad,” including Greenland and the Panama
The Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) is maintaining close ties with Beijing, the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) said yesterday, hours after a new round of Chinese military drills in the Taiwan Strait began. Political parties in a democracy have a responsibility to be loyal to the nation and defend its sovereignty, DPP spokesman Justin Wu (吳崢) told a news conference in Taipei. His comments came hours after Beijing announced via Chinese state media that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army’s Eastern Theater Command was holding large-scale drills simulating a multi-pronged attack on Taiwan. Contrary to the KMT’s claims that it is staunchly anti-communist, KMT Deputy
RESPONSE: The government would investigate incidents of Taiwanese entertainers in China promoting CCP propaganda online in contravention of the law, the source said Taiwanese entertainers living in China who are found to have contravened cross-strait regulations or collaborated with the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) could be subject to fines, a source said on Sunday. Several Taiwanese entertainers have posted on the social media platform Sina Weibo saying that Taiwan “must be returned” to China, and sharing news articles from Chinese state media. In response, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) has asked the Ministry of Culture to investigate whether the entertainers had contravened any laws, and asked for them to be questioned upon their return to Taiwan, an official familiar with the matter said. To curb repeated
Myanmar has turned down an offer of assistance from Taiwanese search-and-rescue teams after a magnitude 7.7 earthquake struck the nation on Friday last week, saying other international aid is sufficient, the National Fire Agency said yesterday. More than 1,700 have been killed and 3,400 injured in the quake that struck near the central Myanmar city of Mandalay early on Friday afternoon, followed minutes later by a magnitude 6.7 aftershock. Worldwide, 13 international search-and-rescue teams have been deployed, with another 13 teams mobilizing, the agency said. Taiwan’s search-and-rescue teams were on standby, but have since been told to stand down, as